Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: swamp bridge for the budget  (Read 3201 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
here are some photos of a bridge we built in the back of our land.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
dog on the bridge...
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
these footings are half of a 50gallon food grade plastic barrel.  we pre drilled some holes on the bottom and scissored out 4' chunks of rebar.. dumped in a few bags of concrete and then added a layer of random field/fill rocks from around the land. once the barrel is almost filled we then jammed a piece of threaded rod with a bold and washer on atleast halfway down.. and topped em off.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
this bridge is about 32 feet in length and 6' wide.. this was the narrowest point we could find to build this. we have 4 plastic drum footings out there.. the main beams are 3 2x10's with the ends left staggered.. the ramp sections were then inserted into the staggered ends and held together with a  carriage bolt.. this was done to allow for one side of the bridge to adjust/heave with the winter/water and not twist apart the other end. previously we had just dropped a few trees and dragged em into place.. this didn't work well as it backed up the stream and was very unsafe. the height of this bridge has allowed the water to flow pretty good around it. could actually see the bottom for a change.  all in all the bridge was about 300$ to build using treated timber.
« Last Edit: July 07/06/13, 05:29:30 PM by beeker »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The barrel footings...something like this?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
judging from the bare earth in the trail leading to this awesome foot bridge it looks as if there were no less than 15,000 trips in the production process. I sure hope it pays off but am sure it will.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
HD.. the bottom of the barrel from the side view would have more of a "/\" shape from the rebar going into the muck...  i'm 200+ lbs.. when I jump on the bridge over the footings I can't get a ripple in the water.

where i'm standing to take the picture back towards the trail is right were I buried the wheeler into the headlamps the year we decided to build a bridge there.

the trail did get a little beat down.. but this leads us to the promise land of the tax forfeited land locked hunting.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks great.  It's amazing what a guy will do to get to the promised land.  :toast:
Are the side rails for looks or are you afraid of falling off?
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
HD now that looks like it.

The rails are for the wheeler just some added security