Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trees  (Read 2267 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I made an assessment of new trees that made it through the winter. Seems the deer "liked" them a lot.  I  could only get a bundle of 25 from the county, but it's a start. Anybody get more trees this year?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Not really. If I need a tree a go out in da bush and get one. The rod and gun club in the area usually have a tree give away, maybe check out them type of outfits.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
What kind of trees are you looking for HD?
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Jack pine or red pine.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I got another 18 apple and plum trees to start a second orchard.  Last year we planted 16 apple and plum trees.  These are bare root 1" trunks and vary from 6-12 feet high.  There is an MDHA chapter that gets the trees at a good price. 

We put trunk protection and wire cages around them.  No deer damage after one year.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
25 more in the ground. What fun planting in the rain!  :dancinred:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sweet! I planted 14 hazelnuts last weekend; another guy and I split a 25 pack. Fills in a spot in the planting I had left. The bunnies have already chewed 4 of them to the point that I need to put tree wrap on them to protect what's left of the poor little buggers. Acres of pasture and they gotta hammer my trees. Not amused.  :banghead:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's what they do.  Not sure why they go after hazel.  Don't they understand your trying to help buy planting a mast plant for them to use later.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The little jerks did the same thing a few years back to some crabapple whips I'd taken the wrap off of when I thought it was time. Oh well, I put the plastic spiral wrap on the hazelnuts for the time being. They were nice whips and got ~1.5" of rain on them since planting them last Saturday. Your plums and apples look great BTW!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)