Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Well it figures  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Got up this morning to a beautifull day. Mrs. Slick and the little Slick ones were still sound asleep. "Perfect day for a little fishing" was the thought going through the gray matter in my crainium. Grab the camera to take big fish photo's, a bag of beef jerkey and a couple diet cokes, hook the ATV up to the boat trailer and away I go...This is going to be great as the boat landing is more or less a swamp and a regular truck cannot back into the spot, the whole lake to myself and a couple more loons. (birds)
   So I get to the "boat landing" about a half mile down the road and unlock the gate, back the boat into the muck and after about 5 minutes of fighting cattails and reeds I'm on the lake.
   It's an awesome sight, hardly a ripple on the water the sky filled with morning sunshine, a couple of Loons (birds) about 200 yards away and a few Pelicans swimming about also enjoying the morning. I sit and enjoy the sight for a minute or two.
   Well its time to put a few fish in the bucket so I pull the rip-cord on the 40 year old motor and it does nothing as far as turning the engine over. I pull and pull and pull...Nothing. So I start rowing out a little way just to get a few casts in when I discover that my "summer" tackle box is at home and all I have is a few winter jigs. "Heck with it " I'm going home.
   As I fight my way through the reeds and cattails cursing why they would grow there in the first place I managed to fill my knee-high boots with water. Finally get the little boat back on its trailer and get on the ATV, empty the water out of my boots and fire up the big twin cylinder Polaris. Pulling out of the "landing" is, as I just found out, can be harder than putting into the landing. Seems as I was out on my little "fishing trip" the ATV sank into the gooy muck a little ways and the traction wasn't the best. Also seems that the "landing" has a 90 degree drop-off right at the edge that the little 8" trailer tires don't want to go up. Together these little acts of nature can really test a guys inner strength, but after another 10 minutes of whinning like a teased school girl, and the help of a 2x6 I found in the weeds I got the boat out and back on the 2 track road. Driving home I noticed that the ATV was pulling slightly to the right and upon arriving home my suspicions were right...A flat tire on a new set with less than 20 miles on them.

Think I'm going to get a canoe.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
or a Honda. :whistling:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Finlander

• Outdoorsman
What a bummer. I guess like the saying goes . What can go wrong will go wrong .

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i gotta agree with the gen on the honda ;D  did you figure out
the motor problem? would have been a great day on the water!

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking more on the lines of a Mercury unless Honda is made in the USA then maybe go that route. But then again this motor still runs good when the rewind works, have it fixed in no time.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Slick I was giving the smart remark on the Polaris.........get a honda.  As far as the boat motor goes.  I believe unless the other companies change (and they will) an E-Tec is the only way to go. 

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
Slick I was giving the smart remark on the Polaris.........get a honda. 
I would sooner walk.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
now slick we all know hondas dont get stuck ;D

randy aka bh
bonehead149@yahoo.com

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
now slick we all know hondas dont get stuck ;D

:bs:  Your just not trying hard enough.    ;D

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I got my Yamaha stuck this weekend.  I was following my buddy (he was on a Polaris) and dropped in a hole.  I was going slow because I had the wife on the back and didn't want to dump her.  Anyway I was in over the drive belt and the belt got wet.  I made it back but couldn't go over 20 mph without the belt slipping.  I still does so I will have to take the cover off to dry things out.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i am not gonna comment... ;D

randy aka bh
bonehead149@yahoo.com

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
That story is about as common as Minnesotans complaining about the weather.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ok, how come no one told me about the drain plug on the bottom of the belt case.  I found it AFTER taking the whole thing apart.    :bonk:  :censored:
Anyway I used the oppertunity to check it all out and replace a torn rubber boot over the drive shaft, check all fluid levels etc.   For the record this is the first thing (besides changing oil) I've done to the wheeler since I bought it back in 2001. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
DE, I got a Yamaha, Polaris and a Honda........I like the Yamaha way better than the other 2.
They all got the same tires on um, and are the same size......but it seems I can go through more  :censored: with the Yamaha and not get stuck.

Maybe you tried TOO hard!    :rotflmao:
(or you should have risked dumping the wife)  OK! I'm just kidding!

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like you guys would like my Big Bear ;).... NOT automatic, 27" mudders, no electronic or auto  :bs: to go wrong.... Ive had it completely submerged under a creek,(it didnt quit on me)up to the gas cap in mud holes,(didnt get stuck).... I fear the day it goes to the big atv graveyard cause I really dont like all the new technology & overpriced stuff out there now.  Ole Sasquatch dosent even have a speedo!  dosent have any bells and whistles,but it has a heating element in the carb for starting it up on those -30 nights on a lake or deer camp, which is really nice...

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My Kodiak was made before they used the locking front differential.  So, I really only have three wheel drive where as the Polaris I was following has full four wheel drive.   But then again, his has a bazillian grease zerks and mine has none.  Good and bad with all brands.