Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's your favorite jig?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
When you go out ice fishing what's your favorite jig to use for each species?
Do you always have a few extra in your box?
Do you have a full assortment of colors and glows?
Or, do you use specific jigs on certain lakes, and not on others?

My favorite jigs for panfish and perch, are demon glow jigs and marmooskas.
When fishing for walleye's, I like the buckshot jigging spoons as well as the swedish pimples.
Pike, I just pretty much use a plain hook and shinners.

I keep an assortment of all different colors, but more so in the glows.

What do you fisher people use?

Hunter
« Last Edit: December 12/26/08, 07:17:04 PM by Hunterdown »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Well Hunterdude, stay away from my tacklebox.  ;D  You and I use nearly the same thing all around! I have some teardrop shaped thingy's that I don't know the names of, but I do know they work!  Pretty much anything from Lindy's or Northland Tackle's line is what I use. (As well as lesser known brands)

Last year I finally got serious about ice fishing, and bought a seperate tacklebox just for ice fishing.  Of course when you do this, get one that is at least twice as big as you think you'll EVER need.  At least with one bigger than needed, you have an excuse to go buy more goodies!  And always buy at least 2 of everything as when you find that one specific color/design/shape is the hot ticket for the day-you'll have a spare.  It won't be long until it's filled up!  ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
my go to jig for all panfish is a blue/pink/glow forage minnow (small as they make) with a red treble hook.
« Last Edit: December 12/26/08, 10:22:00 PM by The General »
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline finch

• Outdoorsman
a couple years back dad found a deal on some vintage Lu-Jon lures, which are very similar to a swedish pimple.  everyone laughed and told him to put the antiques on a shelf where they belong... but I tell you what... they work for just about everything!
"Give me your tired, your hungry, your poor... It's Americans that are tired, hungry, and poor.  so until you take care of that, close the book!" - Edward Norton, American History X

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
I like to use a small buck shot for both eyes and crappies. I have a few colors but usually use blue. For sunnies I like the genz bug, I have and use all colors. I like to keep around some real small plain jig heads for crappies too.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
For panfish my favorite jigs are:

JR's tackle- Diamond jigs

Custom Jigs and Spins- Shrimpos, Ratsos and Demons

Lindy- Frostees and Fatboys

Phelps- Tick jigs

Plain red Gamakatsu hooks

For Walleye, I really have no favorites, but i like the Buckshots, Swedish pimples and a plain old red hook when they are finnicky.

MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Its interesting, My favorite all-around are :happy1: the glow demons, not many of the guys I fish with use em, and I nearly always out fish them... so I aint fishin with any of you guys! ;) You all pretty much said ya use em... I even use the large ones on rattle wheels/tipups/my "hotbox" for walleyes.  Basically if Im using minnows for walleyes or panfish, Im using demons hooked right behind the minnows dorsal fin, have used em for years... if Im using a horizontal lure for walleyes its gonna be a jigging rapala or shad rap, or marmooskas or similar for panfish with maggies on them.... with the exception of using the red gamakatsu hooks and a split shot with minnows when things are slow & theyre biting light,  I dont mess with colors much anymore, unless its different glow colors... its all glow stuff or plain hooks & the stealth mode.... :happy1:

Offline huntinchick

• Outdoorsman
I like the green glow demon.

Offline pheasantman2121

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Green glow demon
forage minnow
For all your HVAC needs contact me at
763-587-5796

Labs 4 Me

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Hi I'm Joe and I'm an ice fishing jigaholic.

I have so many ice jigs it's ridiculous. No matter how much I try to convince myself I don't need anymore, I just can't seem to leave Fleet Farm without a couple packs of jigs in my hand.

I guess my goto jig for panfish would be the pink/glow or green/glow Fat Boy. I've got a few of the original styles left. I'm not real crazy about the new techni-glo colors.

I'm really liking these new Gil Getters from Northland Tackle. That is all I've used so far this winter. These may become my new goto jig for panfish.

For walleye I'm not sure I have a goto jig. I like the Swedish Pimple, Weasel jigging spoon, Demon jigging spoon, or the Lightning spoon. I've caught walleye on them all, but I guess I always start out with a pimple.

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Well, Joe..........

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  :rotflmao:

But, I think we all have the same addiction (at least I do)  :happy1:

I'm in the exceptance phase of the 12 step program.....I've excepted that I NEED more jigs!  :rotflmao:

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah me too.... Ive got mine down to a hundred or so jigs(ya gotz to try em all, right?)  But after not getting anything on certain jigs, they get demoted to a second fly box, kinda like the island for misfit toys... :rotflmao:  and I constantly try new stuff, and go back to questionable ones for a second or third chance, but always end up goin back to those green glow demons, from the tiniest to the largest, they have proven themselves to me time and time again.....

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I like using a size 10 Diamond jig in gold.  I have caught many nice crappies, as well as some sauger and eyes through the ice using them.  Also, I like glow in the dark/purple tear drop jigs.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
swedish pimple hands down...i use that hook more than anyother. i have lots of different sizes and colors some with single hooks and some with treble hooks. i use that for eyes. and the smaller ones with the single hooks work pretty well for crappies also. for my tip up its a shinner with a regular red hook

Offline BK19

• Outdoorsman
    • keechracing
for panfish fiskas hands down
my wallet is as empty as a monday morning church

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, they make some good stuff too, I like their small horizontal jigs.... :happy1:

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I found a little company called Jammin Jigs (Locally operated in Wyoming, MN) and they sell a jig called a football jig and it is small, but heavy so it gets down quickly.  That has been my number one this year.  If you guys have not heard of these guys check them out.  I think they have some of the best paint jobs in the business on their jigs.  Here is the link.  http://www.jamminjigs.com/  They even will send your three random samples of their jigs if you send a self addressed envolope without postage and $2.00.  I thought that was pretty cool.  You can also get them at the Sportsman's warehouse in Woodbury.  That is where I found them.  Sorry to ramble.
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
I think they sell those Jammin Jigs at Wiggles Bait by Coon lake and Linwood. Pretty sweet looking stuff... awesome paint.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I use to know Brian from Jammin Jigs, been using his jigs for about 5 years now. Like someone else said, great paint jobs. They are also very generous, they donated a lot of product to our get togethers and ice fishing contests in the past.
« Last Edit: January 01/08/09, 10:22:47 AM by Pat Turnquist »
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"