Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Smelt for Pike?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
I have recently been hearing that dead baits like smelt on tip ups work good for pike. Anyone try these? Where do you find them? I was told pike like an easy meal and stinky dead bait is easier and more productive than having to chase suckers around.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
You can buy them whole at the grocery store.

And yes, they do work......I have used them from time to time.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I beleive that is the bait of choice on Upper Red for monster northerns.  So the answer is yes!  :happy1:  I've never tried it myself.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
Also frozen ciscos work that is the bait of choice on Lake of the Woods
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Northerns feed big time on dead bait on the bottom, there may be a question of where you can use smelt as a dead bait. I seem to remember something about a DNR notice about smelt not to be used in any then the waters they came from.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I am not sure about that. I think they can be used any lake as long as not live. Infact smelt cannot be transported from a lake where caught until they are dead.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I am not sure about that. I think they can be used any lake as long as not live. Infact smelt cannot be transported from a lake where caught until they are dead.
Something to do with eggs I thought...
Bobby Bass

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
Something to do with eggs I thought...
vhs disease
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I dunno, I only used them on a few lakes in Nebraska that required that you only use smelt. As for Minnesota regs. I'm not sure........

Might have to e-mail the DNR on that one.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
I don't know so much about how they like an easy meal. because via underwater cameras the pike still motor in 90 miles an hour to slam dead baits. I personally have witnessed that Yes dead smelt work for northern and pout as well. They may work for other fish as well. Some one out there must be able to attest they caught a walleye on an old smelt. C'mon in and share.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
We have used dead smelt on Pike and lake trout in the BWCA and Canada with those "saftey pin" hooks that hold dead bait on them, they fall apart real easy, so ya learn to cast em out real easy.... just lay them on the bottom, for Lakers, we'd put em on raised rock piles/sunken islands.... they work very well! :happy1:  Yeah, grocery stores, or bait shops up north have em in frozen bricks.... the good thing is, if the fishing aint so hot, its one of the few times ya can eat the bait and not feel like yer on one of those survival shows on the dicovery channel! ;D

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
6262.0300 FISHING REGULATIONS FOR LAKE SUPERIOR.

Subp. 5.Prohibition on taking fish for bait purposes. The taking of fish for bait purposes from all Minnesota waters of Lake Superior and all waters of the St. Louis River downstream of the Fond du Lac Dam in St. Louis and Carlton Counties, including any and all outflows, estuaries, streams, creeks, or waters adjacent to or flowing into these waters is prohibited.

I knew I had seen this somewhere before, It's a Lake Superior law. You can not take Smelt to use for bait from the above mention waters. Of course next to impossible to enforce.

Link to laws inregards to Smelt
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/rules/?id=6262.0300
Bobby Bass

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
But if ya buy them dead and frozen... I take it your A-OK.....

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
But if ya buy them dead and frozen... I take it your A-OK.....
That was the arguement last year about them. The law says no. I don't know if you can buy them in bait shops along the north shore anymore, but you can I think buy them in the grocery for food. One of these laws that sounds real good but how do you enforce it?  :scratch:
Bobby Bass

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
We'd always get smelt at the Beaver Flick bait shop in Grand Marias.... its been a couple years though.... yeah, it would be tough to enforce, but not worth getting in trouble for using if it is illegal.... but they do work really well... I think its all the oils in the smelt... its like GULP, but all natural! ;)

Offline schmitty

• Minnow
i used to buy frozen smelt at the sag store on the gunflint trail , matter of fact last month when i was up there we bought frozen smelt from the uglybaby bait store accross from trail center . big pike love'em :happy1:

Offline bigbud

Go to vados bait in springlake park on hwy 65 or to there web site vadosbait.com thats where i get smelt good luck.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Go to vados bait in springlake park on hwy 65 or to there web site vadosbait.com thats where i get smelt good luck.

When you go there, tell them to check their e-mail.   ;) 

And to stop by MNO  :happy1:
« Last Edit: January 01/30/09, 08:45:08 PM by Jeff »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com