Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: how long do you wait to seed?  (Read 3823 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
once I spray my field how long should I wait to seed? does it depend on the killer? or what's a good rule of thumb? I would like to spray on saturday and seed on sunday.
« Last Edit: May 05/29/09, 07:37:12 AM by JohnWester »
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
What is it you're spraying?
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I've heard some people say 5 days and some say 10 for round up. I waited about 6 last year and it worked fine. I waited about the same this year also. I might try some fertilizer this year.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If you use roundup (glyphosate) You can seed the same day.  But usually we wait to ensure some kill before planting.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm spraying round up onto what I always heard called "elephant grass" by my uncle
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Filbert

• Minnow
I plant the same day. Round up works on contact with the plant. It will not kill the seed if it gets on it. All of my food plots get planted the same day I spray. Go for it on the same day.
"Nothing is impossible with God" Luke 1:37

Offline Swany

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Out of curiosity, does it matter on what is being seeded? This will be my first year for food plots and would hate to do anything the wrong way.
Thanks all.
~Swany

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Out of curiosity, does it matter on what is being seeded? This will be my first year for food plots and would hate to do anything the wrong way.
Thanks all.

Depending on soil type, shaded or not, wet soil or dry and ph level...yes it does matter what your trying to seed. What is the land like, and what would you like to plant?

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
How many people use fertilizer on there plots? Where do you buy it for the best deal?
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250

Piss on it and walk away

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
How many people use fertilizer on there plots? Where do you buy it for the best deal?

I buy mostly from the co-op....But have bought it from Menards (the 10-10-10) at 7.95 a bag
Depending apon how much you need and what your putting it on, if you only need a little Menards is cheap. I buy in bulk from the co-op (100-200 pounds) then it's cheaper.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
How much do you put on a acre? I have about 5 acres I do right now. I just planted about 2 1/2 acres perenial and the rest will be annual.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250

Piss on it and walk away

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
How much do you put on a acre? I have about 5 acres I do right now. I just planted about 2 1/2 acres perenial and the rest will be annual.

Is it good black dirt, sand or clay? Black dirt will require less than sand, and clay is in the middle.

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If you are using Roundup...you need to wait 10 to 14 days to allow the chemical to translocate into the root systems to get a good kill.  That is what the label will tell you as well.  If you spray and then till or plant, you may cut the root rhizome which will then not allow the chemical to get into the entire root system...which will result in a lot of volunteer weeds coming up.

Another option is to till...wait 4 to 6 weeks...till again and plant immediately after tillage.  This one two punch will really knock the weeds back and allow your new seeds to emerge quickly.  I prefer this method since it does not require chemicals and really works well.

With our native grass planting, we like to wait for a "green up", plant into the green up (very shallow seeding) and then spray 3 to 5 days after planting.  The drill does not get deep enough to cut any roots, so that technique works very well.

Good lcuk with the projects!

Kyle, PLM

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Depends a little on what you're trying to kill and what your soil is like. Trying the one-two punch scenario on the heavy clay loam soils in this area is a potion for disaster. Bear in mind, while they are consulted regarding some of the technical aspects, chemical labels are written by company attorneys, not agronomists or weed scientists. If it's annual grasses, 24hrs. is enough. It's translocated plenty far enough to take them out. Annual broadleaves & perennials, minimum 3 days generally acceptable provided the proper rate has been applied. There is a portion of the glyphosate label pertaining to alfalfa whereby one can spray the alfalfa and harvest it within 36 hours of application. We've advised it, followed it up, it works. Alfalfa gone and the farmer is free to either work it up or plant no-till corn into it following the hay being baled or chopped. Few plants out there are going to have a tap root longer to translocate the material through than alfalfa.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)