Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: rattling?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline StevenHuston

• Outdoorsman
does rattling work? should i try rattling when there are not alot of bucks? will it work in December or just the rut?
enjoy it

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It didn't work for me, but I will probably try again.

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
You can try rattling, but if you don't have a muzzleloader, I wouldn't suggest it this time of the year.

First off, when you rattle the deer is going to try and approach you from the downwind side. If you are bowhunting that distance will be far greater than any of us could ever make a shot unless your stand site is located with an open field, or some type of natural barrier to your downwind side creating a pinch point that "lures" the buck within an adequate bow range. Also this time of the year the bucks are a little more weary, and have more than likely had an encounter or two (or smell) of another hunter which already has them on edge.

I am muzzleload hunting right now, so every now and then I give a tickle of the horns just loud enough to get a bucks attention which hopefully brings them within 100 yards of me.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I would say forget the rattle and go with the fawn or doe bleets. The bucks are still looking for the does that didn't get bred. If I rattle it is before the rut when they are marking and fighting for there teritory.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If your are looking for does, leave the rattlers at home.  Over the past few years I have seen numerous does blast out of the area when they hear the horns rattle.  Maybe I'm not good at it but they certianly don't like my imitation of a fight.  This year I rattled only twice.  Once two does (50 yds away, I didn't know they were there) jumped up and bolted away.  Another time I just caught the tail of one leaving the area.  For the record, I have never seen a buck in the distance and rattled him in.  I may have had a buck come in 5-10 minutes after rattling but then you never know if he was comming anyway.  Good luck and good hunting.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I would stay away from the rattling now.
I have done it, and have had success....just not as much this late in the game.
Most of the time it's the aggressivness of the rattle that you do at certain time of the season.
(To much at the wrong time will just scare the deer away)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
Not to "high jack" the thread but do any of u use the "call in a can" I have the "long" can and it doesnt seem to work?
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I bought a "can" (the short green one)

I tried it several times and never had anything come to it except seperated fawns.
(the ones looking for mama)

That's about it for me though....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
I bought a "can" (the short green one)

I tried it several times and never had anything come to it except seperated fawns.
(the ones looking for mama)

That's about it for me though....

Ditto on that one HD! Little buggers is it.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline StevenHuston

• Outdoorsman
will a fawn distress call work for this time of year?
enjoy it

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman

Personally, at this point in the season its hit or miss.  Its better to use them earlier in the season, so with that I would saw you shouldnt use it. However, you never know that deer will respond to, I was wrestling with a bag of cough drops when my big buck came walking by, so sometimes you can get lucky.
If you are sitting out in the woods and not seeing anything, it cant hurt to use the distress call, but my vote is that it will most likely not work as well at this point in the season. 

If you are trying for that doe, I wouldnt use anything, but I dont know your situation.  If you are trying for a buck, I would say go with some Acorn, or some sort of food scent, or some doe urine (try to get a buck that is still looking to mate, or is looking to mate again)  That is my 2 cents!

:USA:

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op

It sure does for coyotes this time of the year!  :happy1:
-WC Fields

Offline Scoop

• Outdoorsman
The second rut is a good time to rattle,not as many doe's in heat and the bucks that are looking are doing what ever they can to get that last piece of ass. But if the buck to doe ratio in your area is out of wack rattling will never work.