Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Torn rotator cuff.-can you shoot?  (Read 8492 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
Had the bad fortune of tearing my rotator cuff this winter.  It doesn't bother me when I work and I have learned what I can and can't do.  These do not heal by themselves.  I passed the first couple of tests.  I can work.  I can golf without pain.  Question is can I shoot a shotgun?  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I realize I could get it fixed but I am the employer and if I spend 8 weeks in a sling my buisness is down for 8 weeks.  I just want to know if any of you have dealt with this and can you shoot? :help:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Yes you can.  I've found is that it depends from where the gun is when you pull up that causes pain.  Usually it ends up in the wrong place and you will get a shooting pain.  It also depends how fast your heart is pounding which will determine when it hurts.  Before or after the shot. :fudd:
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I've lived with a torn RC since I tore it pitching in college 10 years ago.  Never have had a problem shooting.  I was also told the motion of lifting a can to your mouth helps.  I'm guessing that's why I don't have a problem.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Try it out @ home.  If you can raise a gun and swing, you should be able to fire.  I assume it's the shoulder you mount the gun to?
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
I've lived with a torn RC since I tore it pitching in college 10 years ago.  Never have had a problem shooting.  I was also told the motion of lifting a can to your mouth helps.  I'm guessing that's why I don't have a problem.
;D  I will try to work on that.  Having the gun up and in shooting position is not a problem.  My concern was the recoil.  I can see that the reaching and lifting the gun from the wrong place  will get me a few times. 

Thanks for the info.  Hey General.  Can I get a handicap sticker for this? :whistling:
« Last Edit: May 05/06/10, 10:19:20 AM by DDSBYDAY »
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I don't think they give out stickers for having a mental handicap (such as he has)
They just throw you in the nut hut.....  ;D
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline snow

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey DD,

Lots of things you can do to minumize felt recoil,what gun ya shooting? Pumps and o/u's without some sort of recoil reduction device are the worst,semi auto's are the lightest in regards to recoil plus you can add reducers here to make them really soft,then consider your ammo,lighter payload=less felt recoil along with less shot charge.

Just a few thoughts~

Hevi Shot Pro Staff
Hevi Shot.com

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
Believe me, if I can't shoot my 12 guage 3inch mags the shoulder would be repaired.   I'm was going to try a little clay targeting this weekend.  Somebody snuck Mothers day in on my calender so trip cancelled along with the crappie fishing.  :doah:

Offline snow

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah,thats my thoughts,start out this summer with lite target loads see how she feels,make adjustments if needed.

Hevi Shot Pro Staff
Hevi Shot.com

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I was gonna say, clay shooting: they make low recoil shells... good idea if yer shooting multiple rounds, thats where it may be an issue with that repetitive wear and tear.... hunting:  gotta use them bigger loads.... try to take em in one shot or less! ;) :rotflmao:   I would think if you can golf without pain, you should be just fine.....

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
If HD can get a handicap sticker for a hemorrhoid.  I'm sure it's possible.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
I partial tore my right rotator cuff 3 falls ago.  I babyed it for 6 months and was able to shoot a 28ga that fall at grouse with no problem,but didn't bow hunt that fall at all, the next year no prob with bow 12ga or even lots of muskie casting.   I was lucky...  if you have a bad tear you will mess it up and full tear will occur.  id go see a orthopod and get a MRI before doing to much.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
DDS,

you could just take me with you to all your hunting spots and just point at what you want shot and I'll take care of it for you.   :rotflmao:

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
The over the head shots can be painful. But with time it will subside and raising up on an overhead target may not even bother you. Just baby it and do not think you can throw something or it is right back in the incapacitation state. Shooting has never aggravated mine Chucking decoys sure does though.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
Range of motion.  On my favorite WMA where no motors are allowed  I think I should be able to row out(because I would like to get there before the sun comes up or goes down.  I then could have the boys(in there 20's)  toss the decoys.  This will be the hard part-no extention of the arm to the right.  My solution is use the wind so as to always use the left arm for giving directions.  Picking dekes after reading these posts is clearly out of the question.  Maybe this is not such a bad thing  :scratch:    General-----I'd show you the best I have but all the sirens going off when you get something remind of when I was a kid with 2 good arms 1 hopping a chain link fence

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
    General-----I'd show you the best I have but all the sirens going off when you get something remind of when I was a kid with 2 good arms 1 hopping a chain link fence

That siren was a fish magnet............Kind of reminds me of myself and the ladies.