Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rabbits anyone?  (Read 4377 times)

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Growing up in the north and in the 'community' I was raised in, I always shot and ate rabbits :fudd:. I have shot some here around home but they all tasted like Sage!! Yuck :puke:!! I am wondering if anyone has done any successful rabbit hunting in Minnesota and has enjoyed a non-sage tasting meal of Rabbit!! We used to shoot them by the dozens and eat them as often as chicken.....yummy! Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 07/28/10, 12:09:05 PM by FireRanger »
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I use to shoot um when I went to the dakotas...but, I don't really hunt them around home.
Those were snow shoes, and these are just cotton tails. Alot smaller...that's prolly why I don't.
Guess I never thought about it.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
When I was a kid we trapped some in the winter at my grandparents farm in Corcoran - west of the cities. Cottontails. I think we were planning on using them for fox bait. Instead we skinned them and and my grandma cooked them like chicken. They were delicious.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
When I was a kid we trapped some in the winter at my grandparents farm in Corcoran - west of the cities. Cottontails. I think we were planning on using them for fox bait. Instead we skinned them and and my grandma cooked them like chicken. They were delicious.

Had many fun nights at a local watering hole down there and I wish I could remember the name of the bar.....  Goes to show how much fun you can have in Corcoran.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline acpoco

• Minnow
Whenever I'm out pheasant hunting any rabbit that crosses my path goes in the bag. You can cook them any way you would cook chicken and they are really good!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts

Had many fun nights at a local watering hole down there and I wish I could remember the name of the bar.....  Goes to show how much fun you can have in Corcoran.

"The Stanchion" perhaps.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I grew up in the west metro and we always ate them and never tasted like sage.  Tasted like chicken.  I've also shot a couple near leach lake and they also tasted great.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe it was the diet that these particular rabbits had where I shot them? I'll have to try again I guess. I ate them for years but never had any taste that aweful!!
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

"The Stanchion" perhaps.

Yes it is. 
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline NephronRacing

• Outdoorsman
I used to hunt and eat them all the time growing up in PA.  Never hunted them here in MN.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Now with this snow they are easily snared, my favorite way to take them. Snares can be made simply out of picture wire. Keep in mind you need a trapping lic to do so.

Bunny hunting bring back many fond memories of yrs ago. I'd grab my model 24 o/u and go out in the woods jumping on every pile of brush I could find, primarily bunnies and squirrels. I'd leave it on the shotgun for when something was on the move. If I happened upon one sitting still, one flip of the thumb and it was on the 22lr barrel. I'm going to be strapping on the snowshoes all next week with one of them guns as the wife is gone on vacation doing just that.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson