Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Berkley® GULP!® Leech  (Read 6457 times)

Offline bemidjiman

• Outdoorsman
So I never had the chance to use one of these and I am looking to hear and feedback from others who may have used them in the past.

I was reading a thread on here about gas prices and ways to cut costs on fishing trips and I tell ya if I could cut my leech costs that would be huge!

:reporter; :reporter; :reporter;

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman

I was reading a thread on here about gas prices and ways to cut costs on fishing trips and I tell ya if I could cut my leech costs that would be huge!

:reporter; :reporter; :reporter;

I hear ya about the cost of bait!  It's crazy how high it's gotten to, however I do understand why it's up there in price.  It's all about passing the buck for the most part.   :oops1: :offtopic:  My bad, didn't mean to hijack this thread. :whistling:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What is the cost of leeches now?
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I have not used the Gulp Leeches yet, but I use the small niblets all the time for panfish, I like the pink ones the best.

I would imagine the Leeches would work just as well. I'll try them this May for sure, but i am more of a crawler user for open water.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I have not used the Gulp Leeches yet, but I use the small niblets all the time for panfish, I like the pink ones the best.

What do they taste like?  Do you eat'm raw or drown them in Ketchup?  Inquiring minds wanna know! ;D

On a serious note-I've never used these, but I'm going to give them a try this summer for sure.  I've used some of the other gulp products with mixed results.  But then I've used live bait with mixed results as well!  :whistling:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
That a Woody........ good to have that sense of humor back again.

I've been known to eat a minnow or 2 in the past, but haven't been dared by my kids on the Gulp Yet.

I've had days where Gulp is the only thing that works and days that i should of left the Gulp at home. Like you said, you never know what they want until your on the water.... Color, size, bait etc..... I'm always prepared though, thats why i have such a large ahem........................
tackle bag.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I own this and have used them for about 1/2 of last season.

they are a solid product. they are quite durable and last through quite a few fish. And you dont have to worry about the nibblers ( small sunnies and perch) tearing the bait up.

It is my limited opinion when slip bobbering I would rather use the real thing. When jigging or bottom bouncing they preform well. They are really nice for going to Canada with ... Those fish will eat any thing and the cost of leeches up there it is well worth the money. I have used them slip bobbering for Grass Carp ( LM Bass) and they did ok when there was a slight wind to give them a little action on the float

If you have any other questions left me know

If you do use them bring a rag with ... The "juice" they are in really stinks.
I have a small tongs that I use to get them out of the bucket

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I could never imagine using them under a slip bobber. I would think that using them during the ice season would be good. Noone can ever get leeches and the fish do not see them all winter. As for lindy rigs and jigging I think they would be great to use. I will give them a go this open water for sure.

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Not sure what the price is now but I paid $40 bucks for them last year and they will be good for at least 2-3 more season

Offline munsterlanderman

• Minnow

They Blow.....

I live in Babbitt... and I fish Birch and Bear Island A LOT... I have had Live and the Berkley's in my boat... When I drop the live of course I get hits.. but when I use the Berkley's...NADA.. I have HAD a couple of hits.. here and there.. a lot of little guys.. but nothing really to write home about..

I wouldn't go out and buy these things full price.. thats for sure..

With leeches going 3 Bucks .. I'd rather spend 9 Bucks on 3 cans of Live leeches than 6 bucks or whatever they cost on those thick.. rather durable and yes, smelly full of stink fake ones..

Live leeches catch fish!

My opinion.. that's all..

Mikey

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service

They Blow.....

I live in Babbitt... and I fish Birch and Bear Island A LOT... I have had Live and the Berkley's in my boat... When I drop the live of course I get hits.. but when I use the Berkley's...NADA.. I have HAD a couple of hits.. here and there.. a lot of little guys.. but nothing really to write home about..

I wouldn't go out and buy these things full price.. thats for sure..

With leeches going 3 Bucks .. I'd rather spend 9 Bucks on 3 cans of Live leeches than 6 bucks or whatever they cost on those thick.. rather durable and yes, smelly full of stink fake ones..

Live leeches catch fish!

My opinion.. that's all..

Mikey

I agree with you Mikey. It was a poor investment for me. They look exactly like a dead leech and even have a grayish tint to them. I'm sure I could have put more effort into using them more often, but the confidence level is just not there. Now I'm talking about the Gulp alive leeche$$$!

Lee
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
For the record my experience with the Gulp leeches has been disappointing. And as a matter of fact I'm not sure that I caught a single fish on them this summer. I tried them in Canada in July and I will admit I got impatient with them and quickly switched to live leeches. I also tried them on Rainy and had no success however I did fish with the Gulp minnows (4" smelt) a fair amount on Rainy and had good success with them - on a jig. Wyofish was using live leeches and I was pretty much matching him fish for fish using the Gulp minnows.

Also a buddy of mine just went up to Rainy and bought some gulp leeches. I told him to return them and use mine and let me know if you catch anything on them. Same result. He said the bite was red hot but they had no interest in the gulp using bottom bouncers.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Using mixed baits at the same time this year live leeches out performed berkeley on walleye by 90%. However the rockbass and largemouth devoured them opposite percentage. Rock bass were impossible to keep off the berkely leeches. Also I was able to reuse the gulp bait on them way more than I ever have with real ones. But that can differ lake to lake. What really upset me about berkely was that the lid would never secure to keep the juice in. At least you wont skid in the boat you just plain slip. As far as staying on the hook some outings live would stay longer and others berkely would. If you hooked both the same and pulled them off by hand live leeches in good shape seem to me to hold better. Anyone have any juice but no leeches? I got a quarter bucket of shriveled fake leeches without the sauce
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Dardevle

• Outdoorsman
  • Member # 3888
I have had no experience with gulp leeches. But all I use as of lately is the gulp waxies white color.  They seem to work awesome for me on panfish.  Since I have been fishing them I have "always" left the lake with my limit or very close to it. 
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I was not impressed with the Gulp Leeches. IMHO Berkley needs to completely retool them. They need to be softer more pliable. The ribbed texture makes them look hoky. They should be smooth maybe with a subtle mix of black and brown color. They need to be longer and thinner.

I was cutting mine lengthwise into small strips and using them for sunfish. I caught plenty, but nothing compared to the real thing.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!