Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: needing a different SUV  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Chet

• Minnow
I'm in need of a different SUV and just want your opinion and what I should get. I've had American made vehicles all my life but to be completely honest I can't afford to keep fixing them. The wife has an inport car and absolutely loves the quality and we haven't put any money into it other than regular maintennce. Drives and handles like a dream and it's 7 years old.
I have a suburban now that is costing me on average of $2500/year in fuel pumps, fuel filters, u joints, alternators ( 1 per year!) Ive had this for a little over 2 years, love the ride but the repairs are killing me!
My boat weighs about 4200 so I really need to go with a large suv rather than the midsize right?
I'd sure rather have the mid for the economy. Anyone have any experience with an import? Help~

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
the toyota tundra is supposed to be a nice truck, but
if your looking used they may be hard to find. id you are
looking for a suburban type replacement, a S10 blazer
would pull your boat but would be pushing it.

randy aka bh
« Last Edit: March 03/30/08, 07:50:51 PM by bonehead »
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i dont deal with inports i a american guy but why not a durango or a explorer i have had a explorer for a little over a year and nothing  has gone wrong. except there power windows suck also just the drivers side one other than that no engine problems.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
buy a nissan Xterra.. i have one and the thing is unreal what it can tow and go through. i drove to my deer stand with it when we had all that snow. in some spots there was snow rolling over the hood. They are also rated #1 for saftey.. and for resale they are in the top 10. and on top of it all it get pritty good millage to.

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have a suburban and love it. I have had my share of problems as well but not as bad as you.
S10 blazer just sucks. I had one and will never own another. Too many fuel and suspension problems.
Explorers have problems with automatic lock outs for 4x4. Swap them out for manual lock outs and then they are much better.
Durangos are nice but after about 60000 miles they ride like a lumberwagon.
I dont know much about the foreign suv's.

No matter what you get you will have some sort of issue.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Faceman, you are right about the Explorer automatic hubs.  What are the symptoms?  Mine stopped working some time this winter.   It was intermittent last year but now nothing happens when I push the 4x4 dash button.  The light doesn't come on and the transfer case doesn't engage.  I don't know if this would be resolved by replacing the automatic hubs with manual hubs.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I just saw this one today and it kinda caught my eye surprisingly.  Its made by Saturn and called the Outlook.  Its an 8 passenger, has 19 or 20" wheels  :blablabla:  Never hurts to look, hey?

Grute  :dancinred:
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Faceman, you are right about the Explorer automatic hubs.  What are the symptoms?  Mine stopped working some time this winter.   It was intermittent last year but now nothing happens when I push the 4x4 dash button.  The light doesn't come on and the transfer case doesn't engage.  I don't know if this would be resolved by replacing the automatic hubs with manual hubs.

I am not sure about the push button systems. It sounds to me more like an electrical problem or a problem in the transfercase itself.

Offline Fish Guide

• Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
what year was the sub, Ive had subs forever and they have all been bullet proof.  Maybe you got a lemon?  Id try another sub if i were you, they are hard to beat as far as secure/strong gear haulers,  good luck
"To put fish in the box, fish outside the box"

Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
www.minnesotaguideservice.com

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Guys have you checked the fuses for theose hubs. some times the simples things are over looked

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The hubs themselves are automatic with no electrical parts.  The transfer case is activated by a push button.  I don't think a fuse is the problem because it was intermittant for a while.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
The last 4  trucks I've owned were all Chevys and I have never had any major problems.  A few minor warranty issues, but no big problems.  I just can't buy foreign.  American companies are struggling and need Americans to keep them afloat.

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The hubs themselves are automatic with no electrical parts.  The transfer case is activated by a push button.  I don't think a fuse is the problem because it was intermittant for a while.

Your problem is probably the motor on the outside of the transfercase that is electrically bad or the switch itself. Most likely needs the motor though.

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The last 4  trucks I've owned were all Chevys and I have never had any major problems.  A few minor warranty issues, but no big problems.  I just can't buy foreign.  American companies are struggling and need Americans to keep them afloat.
I totally agree with you. I always buy american but you cant argue with the reliability and longevity of the Hondas and Toyotas.

Offline Airjer

• Outdoorsman
I would stay away from the Saturn outlook. I am pretty sure it is front wheel drive and/or all wheel drive with the rears being driven on a prop shaft.

Nissan X-Terra, Toyota 4 Runner, Toyota Sequoia, and the Nissan Armada Would all be good "import" choices with the sequoia and armada being the biggest. If money is not a factor how about a Toyota land cruiser?
Slow minds keep right --->

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I would stay away from the Saturn outlook. I am pretty sure it is front wheel drive and/or all wheel drive with the rears being driven on a prop shaft.

Nissan X-Terra, Toyota 4 Runner, Toyota Sequoia, and the Nissan Armada Would all be good "import" choices with the sequoia and armada being the biggest. If money is not a factor how about a Toyota land cruiser?

Yeah I think that Saturn is all wheel.  What's a prop shaft. 
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah I think that Saturn is all wheel.  What's a prop shaft. 

The little thingy sticking out of the lower unit that you put your propeller on!   :rotflmao:

Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Offline Airjer

• Outdoorsman
An all wheel drive vehicle that has a transverse mounted engine (front wheel drive) will typically have a "transfer unit" installed on the passenger side of the transmission between the transmission and the pass. side drive axle. The "transfer unit" shares the power thats directed to the passenger side and turns the driveshaft that goes to the rear differential. This setup is commonly refered to as a "Prop Shaft" setup.
Slow minds keep right --->