Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anybody got a 2008 Super Duty Diesel? I Need some Input.  (Read 1969 times)

Offline KingofClubs

• Outdoorsman
Well I'm thinking about going back to a Ford Truck from a GMC. :banghead:
I'm looking at a 2008 F-350 Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 with the new 6.4 Twin Turbo Diesel.
I've talked with a few people and so far no major issues, but if you have one I'm looking for input on what your getting for mileage and how the trucks been so far to you. I heard 16 to 18 MPG is realistic? Is it?
Any help and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brian 

Offline Finlander

• Outdoorsman
A couple of guys I know with 7.3's have been researching . They both say they wouldn't touch a 6.0 or a 6.4 . They both say they have to see the 6.4 go a couple of years before looking at it after the 6.0's reputation. I only personally know of 2  6.0L that have not had any trouble over the 8 that have .  I know 2 guys with the Dura-Max's and no trouble . 1 Ford guy went to a Dodge Cummins 2 years ago and loves it . 2 more Ford guys are saying their next Diesel will be a Cummins . I know a few guys with the Cummins and they love them .

I personally don't own a diesel now. I have a Dodge with a 318 and it is a pig on gas . Haven't decided if I want to pay for diesel fuel . Between my gas getting 10-11 towing the sleds to my cabin and a friends 7.3 towing getting 15, there was no difference in fuel costs. I've been considering going to a gas Chevrolet .

Oh yeah . The guys with the 5.9 cummins were getting 19 on the highway . My father-in-law has a Duramax and he said he's pushed 20 a couple of times . He was just on a trip to Missouri when he got that.
« Last Edit: April 04/05/08, 11:07:02 PM by Finlander »

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I know this doesn't answer your question but I'll give you my info on the Diesel trucks.  My dad ownes implement dealership and we have 4 diesel trucks....2 dodge and 2 fords one 6L and 1 7.3L.  WE have had roughly 0 problems with any of them.  We haul corn heads all over the country.  The dodges are manual and get 20 pulling empty the fords (auto)14mpg.  One time an employee was hauling a 160 horse tractor and hopped it at a stop light and took out a gear on the dodge at 200,000 miles.  I was at the dodge dealer and asked the mechanic how everything else looked and he said besides the on broken tooth it looked like brand new.  Now take into consideration that employees are driving these vehicle and probably beat the heck out of them.  We've had 2 broken tailgates because they have forgotten to put them down before unhooking the fifth wheel trailer.  Also take into consideration my dad is a big chevy guy but even he said someone would have to be nuts to buy a chevy at $50,000 when you can get a dodge diesel for $34000.  When the Fords take a dirt nap we will have an all Dodge fleet. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline KingofClubs

• Outdoorsman
Well here's my deal. I used to have a 95 F-350 Centurion Conversion with the 7.3 Powerstroke.
I got sick of the smelly Diesel and how loud they were. I traded that in for a 2002 GMC 6.0 Gas Crew Cab 2500HD 4x4. I never looked at the Duramax back then and wish I had. I had my truck for 2 weeks then I had to get a new crate motor in it, and had several issues since them with the truck. Well 107,000 miles later it's time for a trade in. I'm burnt on this truck due to the isuues it has had and I'm a little gun shy on a new GM product plus I also don't really care for the look of the new GM Trucks.
I Love the look of the new Super Duty and it has a really Tough look plus the new diesel are quiet they don't smell like they used to. The power it has is totally amazing. But I'm trying to find out what info I can on the new Ford Diesel, we are pretty close to finishing this deal but no papers signed yet. :banghead:
We are getting a great price on my trade in, plus the rebate Ford has we are getting almost $20,000 off the sticker, without really pushing the deal. So all input is very helpful. Thank you.

Brian