Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tree Swallows - Beware!  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Has anyone ever been attacked by a Tree Swallow? Today I was checking the Blue Bird boxes and two of the boxes had a pair of swallows perched on top. As I approached they flew off but as I got closer to the box they started dive bombing me! I was in fear for my life!  ;D I finally got the box open to inspect the progress but there was nothing inside. I figured they had at least started to nest but not a thing inside. I guess they just are protecting their nesting site. I am guessing next week they will have a nests in them.

On a side note I did see a Blue Bird today perched on another box in the area.
« Last Edit: May 05/02/08, 02:31:44 AM by Tim »

Offline C.C. Waters

• Outdoorsman

Have had it happen with Barn Swallows, they make little mud nests hanging from the side of boards or under the eaves, can get to be kind of annoying the like to dive bomb and drop little offerings all over everything..  Cool thing is they eat a huge amount of bugs.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
They are good native birds to have. They are just bluffing when they dive. They also follow around when I am on the lawn tractor and eat the bugs that fly up. I think they hear the mower going and come from nowhere. Sometimes there are about 50 of the little dive bombers.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
They are good native birds to have. They are just bluffing when they dive.

They scared the hell out of me. I knw its a little bird but a beak to the head could hurt ;D Next time I will call them on their bluff.

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
They are good native birds to have. They are just bluffing when they dive.

They scared the hell out of me. I knw its a little bird but a beak to the head could hurt ;D Next time I will call them on their bluff.

Tim they are birds.All I can do is  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
You obviously have not seen the movie "The Birds"

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
Yes I have. I have them here year after year!! There a small bird and there are fast too. I am  :rotflmao: becuse  They scared the hell out of you. When you have a eagle do that to you then it not  :rotflmao:

I was in my boat-photographing Eagle and this eagle came flying off the tree right at me and I hit the bottom of the boat so fast that I felt the wind. I bet he was less then a foot from my head that will scare you. this is the photo I took before I hit the boat.

I thou I would give you a little shi----------------------------------

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05/02/08, 08:09:52 PM by wildlifeminnesota »

Offline C.C. Waters

• Outdoorsman

LOL, I think "The Birds" reference is hinting at an Alfred Hitchcock classic  :rotflmao:   Seriously though the deadliest thing Swallows do is there bombing "runs"  :whistling:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey!  Remember, birds are really little dinosaurs with feathers that fly! ;) Ya ever watch chickadees devouring tallow and other scraps after gutting a deer?  If birds were bigger, we'd have issues... :rotflmao: I always pondered how different Hitchcocks "the Birds" would have been if there were eagles and hawks instead of songbirds and such.