Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sporting Clay Fun Shoot  (Read 23203 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
im trying to get a fun shoot together and i am wondering how many people would be interested. it would be july 19th, the cost would be 18 dollars per person and that covers 50 clay pigeons. it will be held at wild marsh sporting clays. its located by monticello. great fun and a little friendly competion and grilling afterwords.
« Last Edit: May 05/08/08, 08:58:57 PM by Cody Gruchow »

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Aww I got a Bucks & Buckthorn event that same day.   :banghead:  I really wanted to be part of this shoot.  Well Id be interested if there are other ones. 
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Count me in Cody... ya should post it on a general catagory so more people see it.  That sounds fun... good motivation for folks who may have had never had the chance to get out & try sporting clays or have just shot skeet, trap or 5-stand before.... plus they have tha nice covered outdoor meeting/grilling/ :happy1:eating area and even have covered 5-stand sporting clays if it rains out! 

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
how about june 7th?

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Please don't hate me but I'll be in KY at a wedding that weekend.  Don't try and arrange this around my schedule.  I'd love to participate and also bring my boys as we all 3 just got over/unders this year. 

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well im trying to get as many people as possible and it isnt a set date yet. but it seems like everyone is so busy lol. how about june 21st?

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
well im trying to get as many people as possible and it isnt a set date yet. but it seems like everyone is so busy lol. how about june 21st?

Yeah the 21s would work as long as its in the morning.  I have a annual party to go to that night.   :party3:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
yeah it would begin at lets say 11am sense thats when i have always started anyways. new change then its june 21st

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Sounds great.  I'll be there with my 2 boys.

Who else is in? 

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Thats the weekend that Wild Marsh is hosting the MN State Small Bore Championships, it'll be a zoo, they dont allow outside shooting that weekend... I'll double check, but that weekend wont work for a fun shoot....

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, that weekend would be out cause of the St. shoot deal, the other two weekends they have tourneys are May 31st and July 26.... But lets keep tryin here... Grute, we gotta get you and yer youngins up there to shoot!  Every one throw out dates that'll work... :happy1:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well how about july?

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Julys good for me...just not the 4th.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
yeah i figured that, i would be very unreachable that weekend.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
OK here's what I got open:

May 17
June 21, 28
July 5, 19, 26
Aug 2, 9, 23

That's assuming its just Saturdays.  If Sundays are good too, I'll modify this post. 

Also, lets not forget the Kids' Pheasant Hunt Get Together we're trying to set up in Oct (sketchy dates so far).  I don't want these 2 to conflict

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
o they wont conflict, but i work on sundays so that scratchs that day for me. heck i wouldnt mind going back out there next weekend to practice some more the 17th is a saturday right? but lets make it july 19th then. to give some ppl time to make plans.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Sounds like a good idea.  Its on my calendar - July 19.   :happy1:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
ok and if you need shells the gandermountian in eden praire still has cases of 12 gauge 8 shot for 63 dollars which is a great deal i think.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I think July 19th is do-able... Whos bringing the Venison burger and the pork tenderloins?!?! ;)  AND.... Come on MNO Folks.... Lets get some other people to commit to a fun outing, and some food to boot here!  Ya dont need experience shooting sporting clays to try this... Perfect situation to give it a whirl and grill some food and meet up with some people from MNO!!!  :happy1: Cody... Maybe you should put a post on the anouncement or general topic catagory to spread the word a bit...

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
My oldest boy has some buddies that like to shoot trap with him. Its an extracuricular class he's taking right now.   :happy1:  That's a cool school.  Anyway, I'l tell him to pass the word on.  My younger boy might know some other guys who like to shoot but Im not so sure but we'll still give it a try.

GRUTE  :dancinred:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
What the  :censored: !  where were my schools with classes like that!  ;) Thats really cool... Ive seen on the tube where theres a few schools that have shooting teams... suprising, with all the shootings and all that, that there are some smart people in the school systems out there that dont equate firearms with just violent acts...  It gives one hope, eh? :happy1:

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Yeah it is real nice. I was just saying the same thing yesterday as I picked him up.  The only challenge was getting him up there with his gun after school because he can't bring that to school.  Luckily, my father-in-law (Papa) is retired so he swings by and gets him every Monday afternoon.  What a great Papa  :happy1:

Hockey #12 is getting better all the time too.  He's not high end but he is just a beginner.  Monday he went 10, 14, and 14 on 3 rounds of 5 Stand.  I'd say thats respectable for a youngun. 

So who else wants to join us??  This is gonna be a fun shoot, meet some friends, have some good chow afterwards...

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Thats pretty impressive Grute... I know a few guys that were on a freinds skeet league team that shot 50% at their best...  these were adults who had hunted for years!  Tell #12 to keep up the good work & we'll be drafting him onto our clays squad before long!  Yeah... wheres all the bird hunting folks out there?  Lets get a bunch of ya guys to get out in July to give sporting clays a whirl at the fun shoot Cody's setting up, it'll be fun, work on yer shooting, and food too!?  Three great reasons to get out, Eh? :happy1:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
yeah to everyone who walks for a work out why not come on out you can walk and shoot something, aint nothing better than that lol seriously though i think i count a total of 6 that are commited and a couple are still thinking it over.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, come on MNO folks... I know there are alot of you that duck/pheasent/grouse hunt and like me, I know you all could use some practice swinging your shotgun around eh?  Come on now.... ;)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
This won't be just for experienced shooters.  If it is, then I'll stick out like a sore thumb; I have enough experience to know I really enjoy it and my boys have never done sporting clays.  My oldest has shot 5 stand trap but thats it.  Beginners and/or novices will be able to really enjoy a fun shoot and what a great way to learn to shoot!!  All the different stations really simulate all the different ways game animals will move.

Grute  :dancinred:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yer right on Grute, that is what its all about... gettin folks who havent ever shot sporting clays to give it a try without any pressure from anyone.  And thats another great thing about the sport, its not like trap and skeet where ya may have people watchin over your shoulder or a trapper scoring and pullin targets(that ya have to tip..) and he's smirking when ya miss and curse your gun for missing... ;) you're on your own or with a few of your friends walking through the woods having fun... ya may see maintenance guys whippin around on atv's every now and then, that'll help ya out if need be, but otherwise youre on your own, at your own pace, pullin yer own targets, and laughin to yourself at the cool targets ya miss...( I was kidding about cursing at your gun,  You'll have too much fun to do so...)  The best thing about the sport/game is how much you can learn about wingshooting while doing it, and ya dont need someone tellin ya what to do or not to do, most of the time ya figure things out by yourself, and that is a ton of fun!  You shoot the courses in smallgroups of six or less so if ya want to shoot with just your kids & family, or with a couple friends it all works out well, kind of like golfing....

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
people people come on, this will be a blast, walking a beautiful clay course with all kinds of challenging stations, then relaxing afterwards grilling some food and just having a good time with your fellow MNO members

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman