Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sporting Clay Fun Shoot  (Read 23205 times)

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
count me in it sounds like fun

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
oops I forgot to ask,with a 20 ga what is the best shot size,I picked up a case of 9s for doves,will they work for sporting clays?

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Im no expert but I'd say that should be fine.  Nothing bigger than an 8.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
yep, the biggest legal loud for sporting clays is 7 1/2. plus if you go any bigger its tougher on the shoulder. my first time out there i wanted to get rid of some shells and i shot #2 and 3 shot. try shooting 100 rounds of that in an hour, your shoulder gets mighty sore. :banghead:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
ok i was at the grocery store the other day kinda getting a feel on how much this is going to cost me, and its a little more than i thought. so i will bring the hamburger pattys and water. anyone else want to volunteer to bring chips, buns, condiments, etc?

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
how many ppl do we plan for?

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
i am planning for atleast 15 ppl

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I can bring a cooler with a variety of pop.   
P.S. There will be two of us.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
ok deadeye is in charge of pop. :happy1:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll get the chips and ketchup & mustard... sounds like we just need paperplates, buns and whatever else ya can think of.... just dont forget the guns & shells, eh?! :bonk:

Offline outdoorsman388

• Outdoorsman
count me in for two people. i can bring something. just let me know. sorry it took so long to get back to you Cody.
NOTICE: Due to the rising cost of ammunition, I will no longer be firing warning shots!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
you can bring buns if you would like to outdoorsman388. yeah dont forget your gun and atleast 100 shells. i cant legally resell shells to anyone, but if anyone needs shells the club house will have them for sale. bring atleast 100 shells

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I'll get the paper plates, eye and ear protection for anyone that doesn't already have it, and the spatula for the burgers.  :chef: 

The glasses are just clear but they are legitimate safety glasses.   :kermit:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
and i wont forget the burgers :doah: :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cody, Ok, so you can't sell them.  However, if they were just sitting there for the taking......
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So will we be meeting early like 1030, of just show up at 1100. also should we check in under a certain name?? OK now i need advise, I am thinking of shooting my 20 ga over/under, but also thinking of bringing the beretta semi auto in 12 gauge.

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
I could whip up a batch of beans,is there electric there so we could heat them in say a crock pot or similar?

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, they have outlets in the covered area, Cody, did ya talk to Chris or Debbie about grills, I think they have em, but I have never used them, nor do I know if they're propane/charcoal & if anyone can use em etc. ... just wondering.  Roosterslayer, either will work fine, Im partial to ou's or sxs's cause of their ease of use when loading and unloading which makes em safer to use also, but Id use the one ya dont shoot as often just to get some rounds through and get better with... I was gonna use my little 20g sxs that I dont shoot as often, but Im gonna use the 12g cause Im gonna shoot my league rounds and kill two birds with one stone... need as many bb's in the air as possible!(all the help I can get ;)) Oh yeah, tell em you're one of the MNO guys! :happy1:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
yes there is electricity, and im sure they will let you use it. yes check in is at 1030am ill be there at 10am. i will bring nametags and a sharpie, that way its easyer to tell who everyone is. yeah they have grills and we can use them but i forgot to ask if its charcoal or propane. anyone can use them. i am shootin league when i am shooting with you all. like pout said 2 birds with one stone. ill give them another call today

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
mark me down fo a pot of beans,cowboy style,there have been very few deaths from eating my beans :chef:

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
mark me down fo a pot of beans,cowboy style,there have been very few deaths from eating my beans :chef:

Sounds OK for us who will dare eat them but what's the head count on those who are mearly sitting near by -- in the breathing zone.   :rotflmao:

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
well it depends on the wind,the stuff drifts worse than roundup but it kills quicker :whistling:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
ok everyone dont forget face masks for the beans! breath if you dare :puke: :puke:

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
anyone keeping tabs on what we need to bring? Im sure Cody is,let me know

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Has anyone thought of napkins (paper towels) and forks/spoons?

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
If anyone is interested I have a 1.5 yr old german shorthair female,this dog was given to me by rice creek hunt club,I dont really have the room so I will be willing to give her to a member who will give her a good home,shes a very nice gentle dog that joe says does hunt but is a bit hyper,Ive been working with her and she is making progress,but with the litter of pups room and time isnt there im afraid,this female has the same father as my pups do,she is white with ticking and dark head except for a small splash of white on one side of her muzzle,contact me at 320-346-2855,or huntr42@yahoo.com.the reason im posting here is that I could bring her to the shoot on sat.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Well for all of you who missed it, you really missed a great time.  12 of us showed up an shot 2 rounds of sporting clays.  There were some really good shooters and then there were us beginners. 

My youngest boy  :spongebob:  (Oober Ponage here at MNO - it means "pure ownage"  :rotflmao: ) was the one who didn't like shooting when I took him up Nort.  Well he went to Forkhorn camp and came home with a new attitude.  Now he loves it.  Thank God for Forkhorn camp.   :bow:  During the course, he said he wished he had started this a long time ago. 

Oober started out hitting 5 out of 6 at the very first station but that turned out to be beginners luck.  This was his 2nd time ever shooting a shotgun.  He completed the entire course but not with 5 out of 6 at every station.  He got 21 total for the day out of 100.  I think I got 39.  My oldest boy (Hockey 12) did about the same as me but he's shot 5 stand a few times so he's got a little experience.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures; it slipped my mind.   :bonk:  See!  Now that's why you folks need to come to these events -- so you can see and experience it for yourself.

We grilled out some burgers at the end along with some chips and baked beans.  It was great just relaxing and talking with all the other members.  It was great meeting all you guys and I hope we do something like this again.

Grute  :dancinred:

P.S. The boys did make it home alive even after I had all those beans but I think they were unconscious.  They both slept all the way home.   ;D

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Wish I could of made it. I was trying to get out there...but I just couldn't make it happen.

Offline huntr42

• Outdoorsman
Grute
   you never said if the boys ever woke up?

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Grute
   you never said if the boys ever woke up?

Hmmm.  Maybe I should go check on them again.   ;D   :rotflmao: