Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cooking with beer  (Read 1995 times)

Offline sochr000

• Outdoorsman
So, the other day I was making chili using a new recipe, and it called for a can of beer.  I have really only used beer before when making beer-can chicken and so didn't know what kind to use (ended up using a can of PBR). 

From your experience, what kind of beer works best for recipes that call for it?  Are certain beers better for certain foods(pale, amber, dark, etc), in the way wine will compliment a certain dish?  Or is cooking with beer just to add whatever's the cheapest?

I added the cheapest I had on hand, hoping that cheap was all it needed, and the chili was, well, iffy, but that could be because this recipe was odd... (no beans, just red pepper, onion, and meat).

Really just looking to see if I need to buy a different kind of beer just for cooking, or if what's on hand will work.
This is the internet, please remain calm.  I mean you no harm...

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i drink schmidts, so thats what i use. in a chili with all the other
flavors going on i dont think it matters all that much.
i havent had a PBR in a long time!

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I find when cooking with beer it doesnt matter what you dump in. like if your making a beer batter or chili.. I can never tell the difference.. but I have found the dish is best if I consume 2x's whatever the recipe calls for.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have really only used beer before when making beer-can chicken and so didn't know what kind to use (ended up using a can of PBR). 

I use PBR for beer brats all the time.  Also consume a few as I grill! :toast:
"AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL"  -Jeff Simpson

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
you gotta sample it, you might get a bad box of beer ;D

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com