Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Muskrats  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Coming home through Benson over christmas break I noticed a guy on the ponds north of Benson tearing apart the side of Muskrat lodges.  He was knealing on the ice and ripping the lodge apart with his hands (maybe a shovel or hatchet too).  A couple of the lodges had the material laying near the lodge-but left the holes wide open. Maybe he was just going through them all at once, then fill the holes back up later?  I know nothing about trapping, so I might be wrong, but is this legal?

Also many years ago I had seen where someone had destroyed the muskrat lodges-like a tornado came and obliterated them.  Lodge material was scattered all over the ice.  I'm guessing this was caused by someone who wanted the muskrat out, and not a trapper. 

I like to think most trappers are like most hunters, they are sportsman like about their task and do not destroy habitats for fun, kill everything in sight, etc.  All it takes is one bad "apple" and suddenly everyone is labeled the same.   :doah:   
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
It is legal to trap muskrats in thier huts, provided the material you use to plug the hole you made in the hut is wetted first to seal it from the enviroment(cold). That is while and after you are done trapping it. I've normally used an axe to do it myself. I never try to make a bigger opening than what it takes to get my trap in but I'm certain if someone was to see me who doesn't trap, they would think I'm tearing it apart. Most often than not when I'm done plugging my hole back up with the wetted materials it's more weather proof than the rats do it.

There are however a couple instances where things can go wrong. The first is an inexpierienced trapper that plugs the hole he cut w/o wetting the materials. (uneducated) The other is the guy who goes and catches his rats and when he's done is too lazy to plug the hole back up. Now this guy also falls into 2 catagories by himself. One he actually believes that he's got all of the rats using the hut so figures no point in wasting time plugging it.(ignorant) The other is the guy who don't care.(those are the wanna be's) Or that's what I call them anyway as if they were trappers they'd plug the hole to make sure the surviving rats would reproduce for next yr.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I figured it would be awefully ballsy of someone to do this in broad daylight alongside a busy highway if it was illegal.  And being as I was only a passerby, I don't know if he filled the holes or not-I'm assuming he did.  Thanks for the explanation Griz!  :happy1:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com