Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Travis first muskie! Just 4 fun.  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Musky Tom Wehler

• Got Musky Fever?
    • Musky Toms Guide Service
Last August I had a friend from Texas call and ask if I had some time open to take him and his Father fishing. Travis an his dad are from Texas an have a small cabin on the extreme west end of the lake...we have fished together for three seasons ...only pike to show for our efforts...now weather had not been our friend ever...with big wind, lightening and nasty cold rain.
But I enjoy these two guys and wanted to get them on their first Muskie fish bad.
We did see fish during our adventures but always came up empty.
One reason was I feel is that my man Travis is a type A person... not wanting to change, listen or do things someone else’s way.  : )
We all know someone like this....kind of challenge getting them to tow the line as it were to success.
No matter what I suggested he try he would listen, then do it.. but in ten minutes be back doing something he liked better and with lures he read in a magazine or saw on TV that were said to be the HOT thing to do any where at anytime.....kind a funny but some what frustrating to me.
Seeing how we always found fish but they never ripped lips I figured my nagging would sink in after time...it never did.
They had called early in season and said they would not be up until 2009...so this call was a surprise.
Told them I always had time...but if we was to go I only wanted to do SIX hours an they had to do as told or I would rather sit on my dock with the hounds an relax.
Maybe go out with ACE or "G" later in evening and hunt one up and have a few laughs with them?
Well, they agreed an we met week later and went out from HooDoo about 3 PM.
Lots of fun catching up an lots of laughs....then I dropped the boat on a spot about three minute ride away an Travis had a fish up right off....as was normal he kind a freaked an blew hook set.
I had a talk with him while also enjoyed laughs at his expense with his dad an suggested a couple things to do if this happened again...like I had done 200 times before.
LOL
Worked spot a bit more an his dad popped a nice fat 40 inch pike....really Purdy fish with lots of purple in it.
Released an off we went to some weeds....hit weed line...nothing....hit deep mud....nothing....so I grabbed a rod and showed them how to really, really burn a harasser double buck an where to fling it to retrieve over thick weeds.
WHAM!
Travis and his dad from Texas both hook up...but these were Minnesota pike...big fat pike...but not musky.
Fun but not what they wanted.....continue to work area hard as I had a feeling...had a feeling.
I rarely fish when I guide but had to show them something I knew would bring in a fish if one was around. Grabbed my rig an lobbed out a big plastic creature that goes about 9 oz....a mix of plastic colors from a friend at Grunt tackle....let it sink to almost bottom then jig, rip...pause...jig, rip, pause it back over mud an skinny bottom cover weeds.
Sure enough ten casts or so in, while they were having a pop and some jerky...I ripped lips on a 48" beauty.
Sweet! Short fight...in da bag.....photo of released fish boat side and then the Texas duo wanted to go fish ROCKS.
OK…off we go...hit six or so spots...saw five fish...nice fish...not monsters but Muskie fish just the same...mostly lazy follows.
The kind a fish you come back on at sunset or early next morn.
We were having lots of fun but Travis was still not to keen on listening to me and was changing away from lures I suggested.  His dad on the other hand was doing exactly as I wanted and was having a blast.
He had even boated a 8 LB walleye off a shallow rock shelf right at the drop off to deeper water...brought the lure over the flat and let the lure slowly sink on a deep break,  slowly jigging a Phantom....slow an easy snaps...let'r sink...BANG!
Sometimes low and slow is the way to go. Too fun!
About 8:45 PM...I told them this was it...Prime feeding time for the area we were on...they wanted to be driving home at 9 so we best get at it as this was their last chance to burn one.
After explaining the area and how fish might be laying and would come out, should they place the lures in right place...they gave it a go.

Wind stops...clouds move off...no one on lake...top water time...big top water....its dinner time.
Few casts in Dad missed a big nasty one that blew up on his lure right at the boat. I asked him if he needed an undie change for that one.....too exciting.
Nothing to show for it but wet pants. Lake water wet!!!

Next cast in he has a big belly beast roll right over top of his big nasty hoggcaller.....never touched it...just rolled over the whole lure....we saw whole thing...head to belly...twenty yards out...amazing.....was it the same fish?
Who knows? Spots can hold many fish at this time. And this one for sure does, but who knows if it was same fish?
Lure of choice was a mean old top water lure my wife made up from several older broken lures couple years ago.
She has a talent for that my Bonnie...fun stuff.
Bonnie's hoggcaller was about to get busy.
Travis was still using the day time lure he swore would do the trick, not wanting to listen to my suggestions.  I turned my attention to his pop.
Five minutes in as we worked down a little mud to a rock break in 12 feet of water, he sets hook into mouth bone, a big mouth just a rod length out...use 8 footer rods mostly so that is CLOSE!!!!
Oh what a beauty! A beauty some 45 inches of mean nasty sunset feeding Vermilion fury.
Big head, big shoulders an nothing but power.
Three jumps and a deep run and into the bag she goes.  He was so happy he could not stop laughing.
Wow...now that is fun.
Next it was Travis’s turn. I told him I had to take back the rod. I was tired of him beating hot water with a dead lure.  He had to do as I told him last few minutes or what’s the use?

He argued a bit then smiled and said, “Well OK, if ya really think it will help”.
Seconds later I gave him the rod back.  I had latched on a special 12" top water lure from my stash-a proven big fish lure.  Mr. Slowhand we call him, many big fish on that lure!  Too cool!
I showed him how to work Mr. Slowhand an where to toss it.
He did as told...FOR ONCE!
LOL x 1000
Few casts in I change position of boat an gave him easy access to a small ally between six to seven big Volkswagen sized boulders leading to a small hump that is surrounded by melon to soft ball size boulders that also leads to a deep 30 foot drop to open water. A nice little place I know holds big fish, very big fish.
Six casts in, and he is back to doing what HE wants, going way too fast and no figure 8.
I told him to STOP.
I told him to think about what we are trying to do here, to relax and let it happen. Let Mr. Slowhand do his job.
Now toss that sucker over there”, I said pointing at that special place I figured was the best place for him to work and get rewarded.
Work it SLOW...bring him back like so, he does as asked-hitting right on area I was pointing to. About ten cranks in right when I figured he was going to ask to go or change lures......BINGO!!!
Big hole opens up under Mr. Slowhand...he is gone.  Travis sets the hook, big fish! Two ‘round the boat runs.  Then almost into the big 225hp motor. That could have ended the fight but that darn fish turned away from the motor instead. It headed off out to open water.
Wow!
I asked Travis to muscle it around the portside as hooks were locked into his side jaw real good.
Fish made a deep run.  It turned and looked in our direction...did a belly flop then into net I had waiting for her.
Too cool!

This fish turned out to be his very first Muskie, a long big headed 54 incher.  Clean and mean. A few photos, a couple loud screams, and a nice release-water shot.  Then it was time to go.

Both men were hugging and laughing in a bit of shock.
I was all smiles and very happy.  The fish had been where I figured, Travis did his part, the fish did his part, and Mr. Slowhand did his part.

The fish had turned the lure into a big "U".
I cut the line and gave it to Travis, leader and all.  Mr. Slowhand was no more.  Time to make another, but you served me/us well ol’ friend! Served us well!

Travis wants to go out again this year.  I mentioned in the boat that
I could not top that.  If they want to go out I would have to charge them triple, they have to buy me a steak dinner, the wife flowers and
my four hounds a bag of special fleet farm peanut butter cookies.
He says “whatever it takes Tommy...what ever it takes”!  I was kidding of course, but maybe, just maybe we can top that...who knows.  Ya never know what goes on down below....this lake is deeper than you or I know!

Two weeks after trip, my wife calls me out on the island on our cell to tell me Travis sent me a nice Check.  I said “he already paid”.  She replied with “It’s a tip”! Some tip at that!  Too fun!

Now that is one hard way to get someone on their first Muskie fish
eh?  And not a bad story, it’s all true!  You can’t make that stuff up! Amazing!!

The next day I tried to repeat a similar catch for myself and a friend “G” from down on Raspberry Island.  We came up EMPTY!  Musky fish, go figure!  Too fun! 

Keep on Rock’n!

Tommy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/07/09, 08:44:39 PM by Jeff »
Life is Great!

Musky Tom's Guide Service
Tower, Mn
(651) 470-9774
www.muskytomsguideservice.com
e-mail: muskitom@aol.com

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
great story and great fish! 
« Last Edit: January 01/07/09, 01:12:32 PM by kingfisher1 »
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Now THAT is a MONSTER!  Nice job Tom & Travis!  :happy1:
While reading the story, I almost felt as if I was there....then I looked out the window.   :snow4:  :cold:    :doah:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com