Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: preference and why?  (Read 2843 times)

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
I am going to buy a fish house soon. I was looking at either the fish trap x2 or the otter.  What do you guys think?

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
both good choices, but I would go with the fish trap.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
what ever works for you...  do you want a sled type, do you want a bench seat or individual seats... what is the price? where can you get a good deal?  does it have a double zip door?  are there plenty of windows? vents? will they throw a cover in???  (get them to)  really what ever works for you.

personally, I have the Eskimo grand caravan.  I like the space, fishes 2 comfortably, but I can take two kids in there too.
like king said, both are good choices... if you wait a few months, you can probably get a close out.
« Last Edit: January 01/12/09, 07:14:36 PM by JohnWester »
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
I can get both for about the same price. Who carry's the eskimo? I would like to be able to fish 2 adults and a kid and I think I can in both of them. I like the size of the clam big suitcase house but i like being able to put all the gear in the sled with the flip style.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
a few places to try would be places like Gander Mountain or Fleet Farm.  Also take a look at your local bait store, as they might also carry them.  As I like to do, check your bait store first  You might pay a little extra, but the money stays local. 

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Mikes bait on 8 will beat anyones price on eskimos is
what they said. talk to Rich or JC and tell the you are
a member here.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
Mikes bait on 8 will beat anyones price on eskimos is
what they said. talk to Rich or JC and tell the you are
a member here.

randy

See, it pays to be a member on here!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I wished I would have known that when I bought my Eskimo Quick Flip II.  Next time-when I buy my Grand Caravan, I know where to go!   ;)  :happy1:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline tom fellegy

• Outdoorsman
i have a old 1 man fishtrap and that unit worked well in its day. when it was time to up grade, i went with the otter. the reason why was, it is a better tub to customize. i use the tall 6 gal buckets to put all my STUFF in and they don't fit under the seats of the fishtrap or the stock otter seats. the seats in the fishtrap are too low for me and i don't like my feet on the ice. the bench seat that i built, is in the back of the tub so your feet are inside the tub while fishing. i used 3/4 inch black pipe that the bench seat sits on. this also gives you more room in front of you . the heater isn't close so you don't burn your line have the fumes right in your face. no headaches from the sunflower, just leave the door unzipped a little bit all is good. when traveling, i bungie the auger down across the seat. the only problem with this custom seat, is that a stock cover don't fit. a blue tarp and a few 6 foot long bungiee cords takes care of that and keeps the snow out and all your gear inside the tub just as good as the $50 otter cover. the otter tubs are tuff, i have beat the tar out of mine and it has held up to everything that it has been run over, into, and across. so it depends on how you fish and how comfortable you want to be while fishing, fishing in my otter is like sitting on your couch................tom fellegy     

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
The X2 is a sweet house, i'd personally go with a Fish Trap over any other house on the market. The Eskimos are very nice houses too but the quality does not match up to the X2 at all. Clam really beefed up the new line last year.

My answer is mainly based on me owning a Fish trap of some kind for almost 20 years, great customer service and I know they will be in business for many years to come.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I forgot all about the X2.  The poles are better/stronger, yet lightweight.  And of course Clamcorp's canvas is top of the line as well.   :happy1:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
From personal experience and being out with others, I would go with Otter. I have owned an otter for a few years and love it. The sled is the most durable on the market and is angled in the front better for pulling than most are. They are all really comparible however, I just think the otter has the better sled. No matter what you get, put some hyfax on the bottom for easier pulling.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally worked enough overtime and got the  :queen2: to let me buy a house. Went to Fleet Farm and looked at the eskimo, then went back to Gander to take another look at the X2. They had the X2 on clearence from 699 to 419! I asked if they had them in stock or if that price was the floor model? The woman replied we have 3 or 4 in stock, so I thought for a minute and started walking away, she said they'll be gone tomorrow we sold 8 already today. So I came home with a new X2. It wont get used much this year now but i am pumped up for next season. :dancinred:

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
What do i need t have on a portable house for it to be legal? Do I need a shelter license?

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
You dont need a license as long as you take it off the ice at night
and dont leave it unattended. You need to have you name and
dnr number or drivers license number on the portable. I would
check the Dnr site for sure, but think i am pretty close.
for sure, you dont need a license!

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
You dont need a license as long as you take it off the ice at night
and dont leave it unattended. You need to have you name and
dnr number or drivers license number on the portable. I would
check the Dnr site for sure, but think i am pretty close.
for sure, you dont need a license!

randy

You're pretty right on Randy. I don't think you even need your name. From what I understand you need one of the following three things.

1. Your name and address

2. Your driver's License number

3. Your DNR number

With all the identy theft these days, I always go with #3 on my houses.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.