Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: opinions please  (Read 4296 times)

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
i caught 29 3/4 walleye skinny and long not sure on the weight would u mount it :banghead:

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I caught a 29" once, and let it go. It was skinny as well. Now if it'd been a fatty....
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
If it's your biggest one to date i would have.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
trust your instincts, if you tosted it back your probably right..  now you won't have to sell it on craigs list when you catch a bigger one
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
You could always do a replica ;D. We can make it a 30" fatty if you want! ;) Fisherman are all liars anyway.  :rotflmao:
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
It's all personal preference on this. I got a big 28" on the river and was very fat. Woulda been nice to mount it but I'm waiting on a 30. Now if you want to mount that one, then mount it. Nothing wrong with that.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline Grey Wolf Lodge

• Outdoorsman
  • On Beautiful Pelican Lake- Orr, Mn
    • Grey Wolf Lodge
Sounds like it's too late to release it, so why not mount it.  Is it the biggest walley you've ever caught?
GREY WOLF LODGE
4411 Pelican Rd.
Orr, MN 55771
1-(800)-840-9653
E-mail: johnandcarol@greywolflodge.com
www.greywolflodge.com

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Like some have said, when you catch it you will know!  Personally my threshold is 28" or larger and it has to have some sag in the belly.  A skinny one for me would go back in.  To each there own though.  I just love to look at peoples mounted game no matter the size.  I once caught a 13.5 perch at my fathers cabin in Canada that had outstanding coloring and a little bit of a belly, but when we got back my dad talked me into eating it.  I am still kicking myself.  That would have been a spectacular mount with the coloring it had.  I have been trying to be patient until I hit another one up there for the wall, but it has been tough going!!!
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
Like some have said, when you catch it you will know!  Personally my threshold is 28" or larger and it has to have some sag in the belly.  A skinny one for me would go back in.  To each there own though.  I just love to look at peoples mounted game no matter the size.  I once caught a 13.5 perch at my fathers cabin in Canada that had outstanding coloring and a little bit of a belly, but when we got back my dad talked me into eating it.  I am still kicking myself.  That would have been a spectacular mount with the coloring it had.  I have been trying to be patient until I hit another one up there for the wall, but it has been tough going!!!

There are also replica mounts.  That way, when you catch a big pannie, you can eat or release it, and still mount it!  Get a measurement of the length and girth, and take a few pictures of it.  That way, you can enjoy it's taste, or let it swim, and still have amount of it.  Also, graphite replicas tend to last longer and are more durable.  My dad and I went to Northern Canada after some monsterous pike a few years ago.  We both caught many pike over 40 inches, including one measureing 46.5" and 45".  All were released, and we got replicas made.  You never would be able to tell that they're replicas!
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would love a replica, but I was stupid and did not take a girth measurement or a picture!  I will have to catch another one!
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
you'll know for next time!

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
well my guess is that you already kept it since your asking online and then it would be dead already, too big to eat, you do the math... it close enough to a trophy so if its dead you should mount it
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
it close enough to a trophy so if its dead you should mount it

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I would have to see it/catch it to know if I would mount it, but if you have it now... why not mount it? Mounts are sweet, and you can always blame the skinnyness on your taxidermist!!!!!!!!! Everyone else does!

Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
it close enough to a trophy so if its dead you should mount it

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I would have to see it/catch it to know if I would mount it, but if you have it now... why not mount it? Mounts are sweet, and you can always blame the skinnyness on your taxidermist!!!!!!!!! Everyone else does!

Isn't that the truth. Everyone blames the taxidermist! Like I said all fisherman are liars.  ;) Nothing worse than a stretched fish. Fins are way out of alignment, not to mention a host of other anatomical features are screwed up. They are what they are guys, quit telling yourselves lies. ;D
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
I would love a replica, but I was stupid and did not take a girth measurement or a picture!  I will have to catch another one!
Bet I could paint one up for you that would surpass that image in your head. Most blanks are not going to match your exact measurements. If you have a length especially on a smaller fish like a perch the belly girth is not going to vary all that much from blank to blank.
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
Quote stevejedlenski
"too big to eat"

NO SUCH THING...WHO TOLD YOU THIS?
« Last Edit: January 01/16/09, 03:58:28 AM by Bufflehead »
There's plenty of room for all gods creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
Quote stevejedlenski
"too big to eat"

NO SUCH THING...WHO TOLD YOU THIS?

I always thought: If you eat the big ones you go blind????

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao:

and you glow in the dark.
There's plenty of room for all gods creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
DECIDED TO PUT IT ON THE WALL ONLY BECAUSE OF THE STORY BEHIND IT. MY 2 KIDS 4 AND 2 WERE WITH AND CATCHING SUNNY AFTER SUNNY IN THE HOLE NEXT TO THE RATTLE REEL THEY HERD THE REEL GO AND WERE THERE BEFORE I WAS THEY ASK ME IF IS WAS A SHARK AND IF IT WOULD BIT THEM (ONLY 3 HUNDO 2 THAT HELPS)

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
Great rem.....You enjoy that great catch for years to come.

Buff

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
now you'll have proof everytime you tell the story!!!!

Offline black-ice

• Outdoorsman
  • my trail cam
guythathunts its if you rub the big one you will go blind....i have a 200# bear half body mount,19 inch small mouth (buddy just learning taxadermy) 5#large mouth and a decent 8 point first deer with bow its all in the eye of the beholder

Offline DOUBLELUNGER

• Minnow
I would toss it back!! Myself, i have a 30 inch rule. I have caught many to date in the28-30 inch range, but none have come home. To each is own i guess, just this old jiggin fools opinion.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
It is a personal decision. I always said to myself the first time I catch a trophy i'm puttnig it on the wall no questions asked. Was going to skip the replica and put the real deal on the wall. That day finally came last April 4th. Caught a monster walleye and there is no way I could of killed that fish...or maybe I should have. I threw her back. I have not regretted it one bit. However, I do regret the fact that I did not get better measurements in case I would like to do a replica.

Actually I caught a couple that day I could have put on the wall..... I should have done a double mount! If only I would have measured better I would consider a replica! :cry:

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
If you don't feel bad about a replica that is close to the same size you could always measure your finger and scale the picture.... Just a thought.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
those are sme nice fish Tim!

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
That is the fattest Eye I've ever seen Tim. Congrats!!
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
A dandy Tim, I have caught some like that on the Rainy in the spring.....they have to go back

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
If you don't feel bad about a replica that is close to the same size you could always measure your finger and scale the picture.... Just a thought.
That is exactly right. Most blanks are not going to match up exactly to what you have anyway. The only way to get an exact replica is to mold the exact fish. I have never had a guy complain about an extra inch of length or even two of girth. Like I said before, all fisherman are liars anyway! ;) :rotflmao:
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good one there Auggie.  A friend had a replica made.  The place didn't have a mold like his so they made it 1 inch longer and much fatter.  He loves it and it looks great.  Like you said, hunters bag and fishermans catch grow with pasing time anyway.  :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***