Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Coyote hunting interupted by wolves  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 So for the past few years while out Coyote hunting I have had fewer and fewer coyotes responding to calls or even howling back to locater howls. I knew what was going on after a few different times having timberwolves howl back and seeing tracks and seeing wolves in the area. Well this last weekend I took out 2 of my buddies who had never hunted coyotes before. Well at our first set we spread out and I told them I will be doing a rabbit sequence and wait and if nothing comes in I will do a few different howling sequences. So after trying the rabbit and waiting I did a howling set....nothing not even a howl back. So Being that it's Febuary I did a aggressive challenge howling sequence. Not long after that I heard my one friend screaming for us to get over there quick. As we got close we could see him with his gun up and yelling as he would point his gun in one direction then quickly to the other. We finaly got up to him and he was shaking uncontrolably saying they just ran off. When we asked what ran off he said 2 timberwolves came up to him and stood there and were growling at him and "huffing at him." I went over to look at the tracks to see if they weren't dog (even though we were 2 miles in the back of a woods) or coyotes that came up to him. Sure enough there was 3 sets of timberwolf tracks not 20ft from him on 3 sides of him. He didn't see the one that was behind him. I commended him for not shooting them and keeping some of his composure. I asked why he didn't shoot in the air he said he figured it would scare them into attacking him and he only had a bolt action. We didn't do any more sets that weekend.
 But thank God they are STILL on the endagered list because we need a over population of wolves so they can kill off most of the deer herd like they have in our area. I would rather have a overpopulation of wolves that kills 11 of our neighbors sheep in 1 night (true story) then have a healthy number of deer. Sarcasim was as at no extra cost here it came free.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Good to hear your friend wasn't hurt.

I can't say what I would have done in that situation. Maybe fired in the air, maybe shot at one, who knows.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline cobb

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • www.RiverValleyTraining.com
What part of the state was this?
"Some days you're the dog, and some days you're the hydrant." - unknown
"I believe that pain and discomfort are a great teacher." - cobb
www.RiverValleyTraining.com

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
North East south of Duluth. Hinkley-Sandstone area.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline MNO Fan Club

wow man thats a helluva story glad your buddies ok though

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
definitely.  glad to hear your buddy's okay.  I'm going to get some heckling for saying this, but one thing I've done in the past when a wolf gets too close (we have wolves at our cabin) and can keep my composure, is to shoot the ground in a spot 3 feet in front of thier front legs or the tree next to them.  They don't stick around for long. 
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
definitely.  glad to hear your buddy's okay.  I'm going to get some heckling for saying this, but one thing I've done in the past when a wolf gets too close (we have wolves at our cabin) and can keep my composure, is to shoot the ground in a spot 3 feet in front of thier front legs or the tree next to them.  They don't stick around for long. 

No heckling here, you do what you gotta to protect your own!
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
If I could keep my composure in that situation you wouldn't hear a story.... :whistling:
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
If I could keep my composure in that situation you wouldn't hear a story.... :whistling:

Why do you think I don't have any stories?   :whistling:
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah I hear you guys there! They really need to have a season or a limited ammount of tags given out each year. It's all up to the Obama administration now to see if they will be taken off the "list" which is just stupid they got put back on it in the first place. But whenever you get a few loud mouth terrorists (PETA) together they get what they want even if they take violent measures to get it. Like bombing stores that have fur coats or spray painting people that are wearing a fur coat. If anyone has a problem with me saying people of PETA are terrorists well  :moon:. People that would rather see a person get killed than a fox or mink have their moral compass pointing in the wrong direction.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
North East south of Duluth. Hinkley-Sandstone area.

We deer hunt in Cloverdale, east of Hinckley and we have wolf tracks in the mud and snow. Federal Fish and Game were up there 5+ years ago and culled 15 wolves just to the north after they were taking down the farmers herd.

Something has got to change.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Just remember BigE   SSS
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.

You should rais your barrel about 3 feet, or try to shoot the tree behind him!
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!