Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ice house smell?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline 2hounds

• Outdoorsman
Anyone have a suggestion as how to rid the smell from cigarette smoke from a portable shack?..Just got a used 5600 from Clam and it smells bad of smoke. Just wondering if anyone has any good solutions..Thanks.

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Not sure, other than airing it out.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
Take a mesh type bag (the kind that oranges come in work great, or a fish net) and fill it with charcoal (not the self starting stuff, that will bring on a whole new smell). Then hang the bag in the house for a few days or even a week or two. The carbon in the charcoal will trap the in the stink... or atleast it should. It's the same concept used in scent eliminating clothing.  :happy1:
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Smoke a cigar in it.   :happy1:

On a serious note I would give Frebreeze(sp?) a try.  That stuff has worked for me on things I said no way would this work on that.  Not a smoker so i haven't tried it on that though.  At least it isn't an expensive option.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
If all these options don't work take the canvas to a dry cleaner
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Take a mesh type bag (the kind that oranges come in work great, or a fish net) and fill it with charcoal (not the self starting stuff, that will bring on a whole new smell). Then hang the bag in the house for a few days or even a week or two. The carbon in the charcoal will trap the in the stink... or atleast it should. It's the same concept used in scent eliminating clothing.  :happy1:

Sorry for high jacking this thread, but do you think that would work for hunting clothes? 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
Take a mesh type bag (the kind that oranges come in work great, or a fish net) and fill it with charcoal (not the self starting stuff, that will bring on a whole new smell). Then hang the bag in the house for a few days or even a week or two. The carbon in the charcoal will trap the in the stink... or atleast it should. It's the same concept used in scent eliminating clothing.  :happy1:

Sorry for high jacking this thread, but do you think that would work for hunting clothes? 

In theory, yes.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
Ideally yes. If I were to try it... I'd start by hanging my clothes outside for a day or so. Prefferably a windy day. Then put the clothes and the charcoal in a tuberware or any other sealed type bin. In time the charcoal will absorb to its fullest, but if you seal enough (2 lbs or so) in with your clothes they would absorb everything from your clothes and not be nearly full.

If you were to say hang your clothes and the charcoal in your laundry room with a litter box (etc.), the carbon would absorb all that it can and your clothes would absorb other stinks!  ;D

Long story short, Yes it should work. It is the EXACT concept that scent eliminators use, just a bit more crude.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
How about a 2fer?  When you put the fish house away, put fabric softener sheets in it before closing it up/folding it up.  Not only will it help with the smell, but it will keep mice out of it as well.  (Something in the fabric softener sheet keeps them away)  :happy1:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Spray it with fabreeze.  Could also use scent eliminator spray that you use for deer hunting.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
You could use a cover scent on it whenever you catch a northern just rub it on the canvas.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects