Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: anyone do any hunting dog competitions?  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
theres one at little moran hunt club, i think i may try that one out, just to see how the dog does. its 30 minutes 3 chukars and u get 6 shells. they have them for both pointers and flushers there i think i read correctly

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Yep, The one I go to is the game farm here by my home.  The gun club puts it on every year.  30 minutes, 4 pheasants, unlimited number of shells. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline shanee

• Outdoorsman
Prior lake horse and hunt has the states this weekend for chuckers.  I will be there with my dog.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Cody, that would be the Grove City Gun Club

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Birdshooter

• Outdoorsman
I was at the RGS event at Little Moran Hunt Club last spring, it was ...great. The hunt was with Chukar and done in the woods like a grouse hunt. both flushers and pointers, with single hunter or team hunters in each division. We also shot 50 targets of sporting clays then that score was added to the hunting score, it was great! This year the event is May 16th. There was a small banquet with some Grouse Society auction items available too. It a fun shoot going to a good group, the RGS.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
There is a competition going on over buy Alex in Hoffman on the 18th of April.  I'm signing up.  It's $50, 2 guys, 1 dog, 6 shells each, 3 birds, and 20 minutes.  money pay back.  i believe it's in Hoffman and it's called the Heritage club or something close to that.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well i cant hit the one on the 18th because its when im holding the sporting clays fun shoot at wild marsh

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Good luck with that Cody.  I'm hoping to take home all the cash anyway.  I did only get 2nd on my last competition though.  Dang running birds!  I had one bird running down the 4 wheeler trail they were using to set the birds and I watched my dog on point following (more like stocking) him.  To the bird running right out the field to an "out of bounce".  The judge said I had by far the best dog he had seen that day.  but it just wasn't in the cards that day.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well we would be in different catagorys anyways. my dog is a flusher. or does that not matter overall?

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
This contest is actually more for flushers.  Part of the program is the retrieve and the shooter/handler can only take the one step.  For a lot of pointing dogs that is hard.  So I'm betting i will be heavily out numbered.  But it just makes it more fun.  I have seen some very good labs at upland bird hunting but usually they don't do as well as a pointer.  Just like in the waterfowl competitions.  My shorthair would go get ducks in the water that i shoot down but many labs would kick his arse in a competition.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well to each there own. i for one have got the best of both worlds. my dog is a little strange, he will point about 50 percent of the time and when i give him word he will flush it. does he always point no, if the birds are holding tight thats were i like pointers but if they are running its were i tend to favor the flushers more.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
April 18th Elk Lake Herritage club.  A retriever club is throwing the competition.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
will you be hitting the one in staples at little moran in may? there is also one coming up at major avenue hunt club in glenceo. registration for that one is 120 dollars for 2 shooters and 75 for one shooter.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
No Cody I didn't plan on hitting those, but I also didn't know about them.  I'll have to see what's going on.

Offline MagicOPromotion

• Minnow
Hello site been a member for a while now. Was wondering if any body on here hunts public land in the southeren part of the state. I am planning on hunting avon bottoms west of beloit. Has anybody hunted for upland birds there and if they have was wondering how good the area was and how many different kinds of birds there is. I was up there yesterday and worked my dog for about an hour and didnt see anything.I am also hoping to meet some people to hunt with i hunt alone most of the time.                          Thanks for you help

« Last Edit: June 06/03/09, 10:16:48 AM by spuds »