Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What type of bow for my boys?  (Read 5498 times)

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
Could someone help me out on a type of bow to start my 8 year old with and what price range am I looking at for a decent one?

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
It depends partly on him. Take him to the pro shop and have him shoot some of the youth bows. Genisis bows are nice but beacuse there is no way to set the draw length it can make it tough for the beginning archer. Don't get me wrong they have been great bows for many a young shooters, but form is what makes or breaks a consistent shooter and without a proper draw length it makes it tough. Draw length may not be a factor at his age, but it will be something to consider as he gets older.

My eldest shoots a Browning Micro Midas and his younger brother shoots a PSE Spyder(12 and 10 years old respectfully) I recently turned up my eldests' son's bow to 40lbs and he is shooting it fine. He tires more quickly at the shooting range, but thats to be expected. My youngest's bow is set to around 20lbs. Both these bows are great youth bows and both can be used legally to hunt with in Minnesota. Both these bows will be great for my kids to grow into.

I bought the Browing new, with sights, rest, half dozen arrows, release and hard case for around $325

I bought the PSE used all ready to shoot with hard case for $150.
« Last Edit: August 08/25/06, 08:11:56 PM by MetroJoe »
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
Thanks for the info MJ, you give me a good starting point.