Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: East Metro Reports and Tips  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I had so much fun writing last weeks article that I thought I’d do it again but talk to someone else. If you didn’t read last weeks article, I asked a local accomplished fisherman if he had to pick two lakes in the Press readership area to fish, what lakes would he pick right now and why. Judging by the responses I received over the last week I thought it would be fun to do again

This week I talked to Carl Miller at Hansen’s Little Bear Bait and Tackle in White Bear Lake. When I spoke with Carl via the phone he was more than happy to talk fishing and reported some great information.

I asked Carl to pick 2 lakes but he just couldn’t, he had to pick three. In his defense two of the lakes that he picked are connected to each other so I let it slide. The two lakes were Centerville and Peltier. The third lake he picked was Bald Eagle.

Carl is a panfish guy so that is why he picked these lakes. What they all have in common is that they are great panfish lakes in his opinion. If he had to choose between Peltier and Centerville he chose Peltier because he feels the potential for bigger fish are there. If he had to choose one of the three lakes over the other two he would choose Bald eagle because it is easiest to fish in his opinion.

Now if you want to fish one of these lakes Carl suggests a simple set-up. Use a light weight rod and reel and go with a small tube jig tipped with a waxie. You can use a bobber if you’d like but he does not. He basically just works the areas and flips the jigs out and slowly retrieves them.

If you are going to fish Peltier or Centerville he recommends working the shorelines in about 10 feet and working your way in or out. Lately the best reports have been working your way in to about 5 or 6 feet of water, that seems to be the ticket as of right now. 

Now, if you’re going to Bald Eagle Carl will direct you to the west side of the lake. Fish between the fingers, if you do not know what the fingers are look at a map of the lake and you will know what he means. Start at the same 10 foot mark as you would anywhere else right now and work your way in or out until you find the best bite.

This week if you have some extra time between fireworks and picnics and you’re still in town stop by one of these local lakes for some hot panfish action. If you have more questions or want more advice I’m sure Carl wouldn’t mind if you stopped by the shop, the bait is always fresh and the reports are live! Good Luck!

Area Fishing Report:

As mentioned above, Peltier, Centerville and Bald Eagle are all good choices for panfish. If you are looking for a shot at some bigger panfish head to White Bear Lake, the lake is tougher to fish but you have a chance at some bigger fish. Same thing on WBL, start at the all so magical depth of 10 feet and work your way in right now. The reports coming off the lake this last weekend was that the pannies were starting to make beds and the spawn is coming which will provide some great action this week. For best luck fish White Bear on cloudy days as it is a clear lake. This week I also have a great tip for walleye fishing from Carl at Hansen’s Little Bear. He said that a great way to fish walleyes on WBL is in the shallow weeds. Try a shallow running crank bait through the weeds in the early morning or late evenings, you’ll be surprised. Not only will you possibly find some walleyes but you may run into some bass and northern to keep you occupied. If you want to head north the fishing on Forest Lake has been good. Muskie’s have been slow on Forest Lake, try 1st and 3rd lake and go shallow. A lot of follows being reported but not a lot of muskies being caught right now. If you’re looking for walleyes on Forest try 1st lake. Troll or drift and stick to the north end sand. Third lake has more structure but the reports haven’t necessarily been any better. No method or bait for walleyes have outdone the other so keep your options open. Try weed lines for bass and lily pads as well. The best bass and panfish reports from the northern lakes have been coming from Chisago and South Center. There have also been some decent walleye reports coming from those two lakes as well. Thanks to J.C. from Mikes Bait on 8 for the northern report.

By Tim Filiowich
Press Publications Weekly Columnist
http://www.presspubs.com/

Tim Filiowich is a Minnesota freelance writer. His column will appear weekly in the Press. Tim can be contacted for story suggestions, comments or questions at tfilio@gmail.com.