Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: land price  (Read 4015 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
here's the situation.. currently my brother and I own 40 acres.. it buts directly up to the back side of about 1100 tax forfeited. the owner of the 40 just north of us logged off his property and has been trying to sell for about 2 years.. he just called me and offered me the land for 35k... heres the issue. the land is extremely wet.. buried my wheeler in it this weekend looking around.. I think if we knocked out the beaver damn his land would dry up a bit but less than half would still be usable.  he has a crap mobile home that is worth less and would only be good to burn. but there is power hookup.  it would be nice to have 80... but what is swamp land worth? what do you guys think? money is tight, he offered contract for deed and my other brother would buy in so 3 of us would own it?
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline MNBucKKiller

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
idk... big bucks like swamp land.  I'd offer him 30 and go for it

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
It sounds like you cant beat the deal, especially since it right next to property you already own.  Its hard to aproximate a value when there is just a description and no pictures, but depending on what you are using the land for it could be good.  It sounds like you may be using it to plant a plot for deer?  What kind of hunting do you do and where is the land located?  Are there decent populations of waterfowl or turkeys/pheasants? If the propery is wet, is there a stream through it - where is the water coming from?
DO YOU JUST HUNT DEER?
If money is tight its hard to put that kind of cash into something, but the price is definitely right.  You are getting it for less than $1,000 an acre, and usually, even if its dencent/workable land, a good price is $1,000-1,500 per acre.  Where if its prime real estate, it can go from $2,000+ per acre depending on the location and what not.
If the property works for you and your brothers, i would say DO IT, especially since its 3 of you going in on it, its less of a cash burden on just yourself.
« Last Edit: April 04/12/10, 12:04:29 AM by mtcommer3518 »

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Under the circumstances he may even go down a little on the price.  If you plan on buying make him an offer for a little cheaper and see what he says.  If not $35K is a good price under most conditions

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If you are comfortable with where you are now, (not many issues with ajacent land owners and plan to hunt/stay in the area) I would say go for it.  There are not too many times that land ajacent to your existing property becomes available.  Swamp/low land isn't always "waste" land when it comes to hunting and exploring.  Not knowing where the land is, I can't comment on the price but the terms sound good. (that is if you get areasonable interest rate).  I just (two weeks ago) paid over $1600 and acre for 60 acres of hunting land in the central part of the state.  I thought it was too much but the sellers had a distinct advantage.  I owned land on both sides of this property and used it for access between the properties.  Buying it connected all my property.  Also, this way I don't have to contend with issues that may come with new land owners right in the middle of my land.  They kinda had the boss had in this deal.  The 60 is about 75% high ground.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline boogityn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Team Xtreme
Great price, If you don't snatch it up, the next person he offers it to will. :nerd:
" If you have a chance, take a kid fishin"

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
idk... big bucks like swamp land.  I'd offer him 30 and go for it

I think you are right on the money for what i would do (mnbuckkiller). It was already logged, and you pretty much said it's a wetland (beeker) so that to me takes away from what the land is worth IMO.

We have been trying to keep our eyes peeled for a 40 near our lake cabin in Aitkin Co., and just under 1k per acre for most recreation land has been the norm (county owned auctions). These 40's we have been looking at are usually half-timber/half-bogs with a few high spots for a camp. If the land has a pile of cords on it then it is appraised for more of course.

Demand dictates what land goes for (and county appraisers), but I am not sure how well land is selling right now, and what part of the state this is in.

Good luck.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
go figure 22lex.. this land is in atkin county by 18/65...

as for what we hunt.. we hunt deer.. grouse.. the standing water has been good nesting ground but it drys up towards summer where there isn't enough for waterfowl to hang out anymore.. the first few years we were there we hit some wood ducks and a few mallards.. but since haven't had any present during season. I've seen turkey up there but never gave it an effort. 

the bulk of this land is elephant grass with the little root "heads" to trip on...

I'm thinking I'll set up a meeting with him and my brothers and see what we can work out
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, all 3 of ya could go on 2 $5000.00 hunting trips or you could have the land the rest of your lives. The price seems fair and like you said it dry's up by fall for deer hunting. I would take the land. There is only so much out there.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Well, all 3 of ya could go on 2 $5000.00 hunting trips or you could have the land the rest of your lives. The price seems fair and like you said it dry's up by fall for deer hunting. I would take the land. There is only so much out there.

After re-reading this I too agree with Hunter2, there is only so much land out there, especially land that is connected to yours that comes up for sale.  :happy1:

Sidenote; Beeker I know exactly where you are talking about near 18/65, did some bear hunting in the general vicinity years ago.
« Last Edit: April 04/13/10, 08:12:46 AM by 22lex »
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Pull the trigger.  Sounds like a very good price.  You will never regret buying it but you will always regret not buying it if you get a bad neighbor.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm going to get up there again this weekend and give it a good look over and then have a sit down with the owner to see what we can hammer out

Offline mahmoodmahi

• Outdoorsman
Google wetland mitigation, swamps may become the most valuble property one can have if the system goes national and has its kinks worked out