Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Need food plot recomendations  (Read 7042 times)

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Has anyone tried Small burnet in their food plots in Minnesota?  If so success, how did you get it established would be appreciated, do the deer eat it?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I don't have a clue what that is.  Annual, perannual, weed, small grain or what ever.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Well Im not sure, saw yours and others posts on food plots and decieded I should try it again.  In the past tried corn ( all eaten by deer season), winter rye..ok, and turnips one year but VERY DRY fall and didnt produce.  My neighbor's alfalfa field present 10 years ago is now irrigated corn so need to try something else.  Planning on a couple plots of alfafa, saw the Small Burnett on the websites sponcer page FOOD PLOT RESOURCES and it looks like a  interesting perineal! Here is there link.
http://www.foodplotresources.com/FoodPlot.aspx?f=9FF368FD-359A-47B5-8679-BB9E002EDE77

Offline Food Plot Resources

• Outdoorsman
Small burnet is a perennial evergreen forb. In the winter, growth will slow or stop, but it stays green until completely browsed. It is very palatable and high in protein. Deer love it. It is very tough - thrives in heat, drought, low pH, high pH and poor soils. Probably not the best option for wet spots. Stick to well-drained soils.
Imperial Whitetail Extreme from the Whitetail Institute includes small burnet in the mix with chicory. Other seed companies have started to sell it as a food plot forage. We've seen it growing well from North Dakota to the Gulf Coast. It really is a durable forage for harsher conditions. It's not cheap (when compared to clover), we have it around $80 for a 1-acre bag, but it is a high quality forage that will excel in some areas clover and alfalfa will not thrive in.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.  Wow you arn't kidding about it not being cheap!  How long would you expect it to last before you have to replant?
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It will last a long time. Small Burnet will reseed itself after it is established. It is tough stuff. Handles droughts very well. They plant a lot of it in Texas. It's a hit or miss though with the deer. I've heard a lot more people say they had deer nibble on it in passing then I have of people saying the deer loved it. It does very well in dry sandy soils but you need rain right away when you plant it. It's a little tough to get it started. If it doesn't come up the first yr don't till it under it may pop up in the fall or following spring.
 Personaly I would plant a mix of Chicory and Alfalfa if you're competing with sandy soils. They both have one heck of a tap root on them. Or just build your soil up with a rotation with spring planted buckwheat and fall planted winter rye. They can put a lot of organic matter into your soil.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Big E-

Isn't alfalfa a bad choice unless you can mow it? I've noticed in the fields the deer are on it after a good mow and then they slowly dissapear until another good mow. Is chicory the same? Wouldn't you be better off just doing a good clover mix??

Offline Food Plot Resources

• Outdoorsman
Big E-

Isn't alfalfa a bad choice unless you can mow it? I've noticed in the fields the deer are on it after a good mow and then they slowly dissapear until another good mow. Is chicory the same? Wouldn't you be better off just doing a good clover mix??

The mix depends on the spot. If you have a nuetral soil pH, alfalfa can be mixed with it. And yes, alfalfa (and any forage) loses attractiveness as it matures. If that is a concern, just plant smaller plots so they keep in grazed down.
Chicory can be mixed with it in just about any soil type. White clover could be added if the area has a good pH and isn't too sandy or too well drained. But if the soil is suitable for white clover, just plant white (ladino) clover. No real advantage for the small burnet in that situation.

With the price of small burnet (and our price is pretty darn good), we really only recommend it in less than ideal soil types - sandy, low or really high pH, drought prone, areas of low rainfall.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
MNO-
 Yeah it is better if you keep it mowed but like FPR said if it's a small plot the deer will do that for you. You can mow chicory but never mow during a dry spell like we always get in July and August. It will stress out the plant to much and you might end up killing it. Never mow under 8".
 I guess we should ask what type of soil you're working with and why you are considering small burnet? If you are able to grow brassicas that's what I would go with. If the food plot is weed free already from you spraying it last yr get in there and plant them this spring. You will get bigger turnip bulbs that will last into the winter. You'll also be providing in most cases with brassicas about 40% protien. Which is what you need for healthy fawns, does and bigger racks on bucks.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!