Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Comcast vs Dish,vs Direct, vs Qwest DSL????  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
I know this has been discussed before to some degree, but the thread is very old.

Since Comcast is forcing me to make changes now with thier switch to digitalnow software, I figured it's time to make major changes to my set up at home.

Currently I use Comcast for basic plus cable tv (non digital or hi def), qwest for the phone, and MSN dial up for internet.
Total cost is around $130 per month.

Now I thought about a bundle with Comcast but it's $99.99 a month for all three for a 12 month period then up to over $175 month.
If I go with Dish,Qwest phone, and Comcast cable modem internet with would be $70 for 12 months then up to $90 month.

The question I would like to find out is if I can use the modern Dish chip in a 5 to 8 year old reciever dish set up or do I need to use all new equipment at the cabin. Here at the house they would instal all new stuff so that would be covered.

I have a couple more questions as well but wanted to start with this one first off.

Benny
« Last Edit: April 04/29/10, 08:54:10 PM by Benny »
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i use a new box with an old direct tv dish when i put one in the fish house and it worked just fine.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks John, I have an dish and reciever  up at the cabin now but they have to be at least 5 to 8 years old.

Another few questions I have are what are some down falls for the Cable modem vs the DSL?

Is the DSL dependable, is the speed differance that much between them?

How is the customer service for Qwest?

Did Verizon buy out Qwest, if they did maybe I can get a better deal because I have Verizon cell service?

Thanks, Benny

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
What ever you do negotiate now.  Once you are a customer of any of them it seems they don't give a rats arse about you. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I have Charter as my provider for phone, TV, and internet.  They kept sending out fliers for "two year guarantees"  @ $149.95 + taxes, fees, etc.  I called them (when I was able to free up an hour of my time to do this) and said I need to cut my services because I cannot afford them.  Then all of a sudden, they are offer me better pricing on the same plan and I still said not good enough so I said I need to cancel my service.  Then they had all these different plans, costs of changing plans, costs of service guys coming out to adjust the green box near the house, etc.  I flat out told them what I wanted and the price I wanted and they agreed.  Phone, TV, and internet (the same service @ $149) for $109.95 two years guaranteed.

Customer service (depends on who answers the phone) can be very good or very, very bad.  Haggle them, who ever you go with.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.