Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: My Opener Fishing Week  (Read 3016 times)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, since my opener weekend was spent in the woods getting eaten by bugs and being a jungle gym for wood ticks I was unable to get out, However, I did get up to the cabin on Sunday afternoon and was able to do a little fishing
- The first day I did a little panfishing off our raft and did pretty well, especially since the wind was so still and all the sunnies were all skiddish.  Later in the evening I went out on the boat trolling with a crawler and caught the two walleyes, one was 15" and the other 13.5"

- The next day there was once again no wind and the sunnies were scared of anything that made a shaddow, but I was able to catch a few again during the day, along with a nice crappie (11.5").  I got out on the boat again and caught a 14" walleye

- yesterday, there was some wind, so the sunnies were biting alot better, between my uncle and I, throughout the day we caught our limits - 20 each and had a nice fish fry!   ;D

It was great to get up to the lake and I couldnt have asked for better weather!

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, I figured I would move this over here!  I would out on Lake Franklin about 15 miles south of Detriot Lakes.  For such a small lake, I heard that the lake was pretty busy.  There on Noon Saturday there were 31 trucks at the big landing - and that is rare, because most of the people that fish the lake have cabins on there.
For a little report on the lake, Fishermen are catching walleyes everywhere.  The common rig for opener was a gumball jig with a shiner, because some were using leeches too.  The successes were from vertical jigging the shiners off the sunken Island on the north side of the lake.  They were also catching walleyes off the back side of the island (the real one).  They were biting early in the morning, just before sunrise, between 4 and 6am, and then again towards the evening, starting again at 4pm.  We heard reports of groups catching their limits of eaters in only a few hours in the early morning hours with a few bigger ones around 25" being caught.  Trolling the points with Lindy's have always worked, but was a little tougher with the calmer waters, so jigging has been the way to go.
The sunnies are biting and are out in force - as seen below we were able to keep 2 limits, they are shallow and up towards the top of the water eating all the new bug hatchlings.  You can get them off the edge of the cattail beds biting pretty much anything in front of them, the crappies will be mixed in there as well - and remember, if you are keeping crappies on Frankling, the limit is 5 with a 10" minimum.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Thanks for the report! Looks like you had fun!

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline walleyechasers3

• Outdoorsman
  • Tripoli, Iowa **USA**
Thanx for the reports. Will be in your area June 12 and staying on East Battle, but will be putting the boat in some of the other lakes.  :happy1:

Maybe we'll meet on the lake.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
VERY NICE!  There are alot of lakes to choose from up there.  I heard that the opener was pretty good on Lida and Lizzy too, not sure where they were fishing though.  Lida is too big for me, I like smaller lakes where I can fish the points  :happy1:
Ive been up and around East Battle, never fished there though.  Heard there are pretty nice walleyes though!

Good luck up there!  LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO!
 :toast:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Nothing better than a good mixe bag of fish! I love days on the water like that!  :happy1:

Offline walleyechasers3

• Outdoorsman
  • Tripoli, Iowa **USA**
Will do......counting the days.  :toast: