Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Thanks Russ and MNO  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
As some of you may know I won a days guided fishing trip for two from MNO for Babes Bait & Tackle in Ely, Mn.
My 11 year old son and I arrived in Ely with a huge storm forcast, heavy rain, hail and possible tornados were the outlook for the day.Talking to Russ, our guide at Babe's bait and tackle, we decided that tomorrow would be a better day for fishing.   So much for the small tent camping my son and I had planned, good thing the hotel "Canoe-on-Inn" just had an opening.
  The following day, seven o'clock in the morning and we were loading the new 16 foot Lund up for a short trip out of town to the boat landing. Windy cool conditions with good sized rollers on the water made me glad I remembered a long sleaved flannel shirt. Started out in the shallows along shore for some smallies but my imitation craw-dad couldn't get a look from anything.  Played behind a couple islands, out of the wind, but didn't have any luck there either. We then headed up to the other end of the lake to try for a nice Northern to put up for the fishing contest and if big enough to hang on the wall. Casting the world renowned red and white spoon caught enough salad for supper but no northerns. Russ rigged up a sucker/bobber combo and flung that sucker off the port side of the boat hoping for the freshwater version of 'Jaws' to take the bait. It WORKED!...kind of. Ended up with a northern about 2 1/2 pounds or so, not the small shark we were hoping for but it was a start. Trolling along the shoreline, using a silver/orange jointed diver, I managed to hook up with another small northern which we set free to grow.
  Heavy rain, and I mean heavy, the day before put a damper on the fishing. While out beating the water on Shagawa lake we could see fish on the screen under the boat but could NOT get them to bite.  Russ knew were to go to get us to the fish but what can you do? We tried just about every color in the tackle box to try and coerse a smally to take the lure but they were having none of it.  I suggested a 1/4 stick-o-dynamite but we didn't have one. Dang the bad luck!
  About noon we stopped fishing and went to a small resort just up the lake from the landing for lunch. (It's one of those Mom & Pop places that the name escapes me at the moment.) OMG the burgers there are the BEST! (Thanks Russ) Huge with your choice of stomach filling goodies for just about anyones taste. If you're brave enough you can try the "Sasquatch" burger. If you finish it in the allotted time you get you picture on the wall (no, I didn't try).
  We ended the half day fishing trip back at the landing, not much for fish but a good time non-the-less. Good people, good food and good times...It doesn't get much better. Thank You Russ.

If you heading to Ely...
Babe's Bait & Tackle
"The Best Little Bait Shop in Ely"
« Last Edit: July 07/31/10, 01:42:15 PM by Big Slick »
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Note the shameless plug at the end of the post?
 :happy1:
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Despite the bad weather the day before it sounds like you still had a good time with your son.  And those will be memories you'll both have forever.  Too bad the weather didn't cooperate-but this IS Minnesota.  :whistling:  

Again congrats on winning the prize!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: August 08/01/10, 08:05:30 PM by Woody »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Congrats to winning and having a great day with your son. When it comes down to it, spending time with your children is way more important than catching fish.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.