Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Coyote decoy? Rabbit decoy? No decoy?  (Read 3842 times)

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just am curious what people use for coyote hunting.. i have never used a decoy but keep hearing more and more about it..

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Ive only been a few times, but we use a rabbit decoy (with the moving tail) - it has been useful in the short praire grasses we hunt in.  I have never used a coyote decoy - but I have heard they will come into them, but i think it depends how you call them in, or if you have to call them in at all.
We have a few different calls, mostly small game distress calls which can then be followed by a howl or yelp.... Just kinda throw whatever in there.
Anyways, back on the decoy topic, I think anything is better than nothing.... but thats just me.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Just am curious what people use for coyote hunting.. i have never used a decoy but keep hearing more and more about it..

Like a coyote decoy??

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Like a coyote decoy??

Yes a coyote decoy and rabbit decoys. They are very territorial so I am thinking the coyote decoy would work great for that, and for the rabbit decoy any hungry coyote is gonna come running!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i use my flambue full body coyote decoy more than any other decoy i have. it cost me 100 bucks, but it was well worth it. the coyotes i hunt are very well fed from the ducks and pheasants on the game farm, so they dont respond to the distress call very much. but once i start howling they come running, and like you said coyotes are very territorial and will come running in on sight of another invading coyote. the decoy is only 1 of 5 phases you have to know about when coyote, atleast in my opinon anyway

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
i use my flambue full body coyote decoy more than any other decoy i have. it cost me 100 bucks, but it was well worth it. the coyotes i hunt are very well fed from the ducks and pheasants on the game farm, so they dont respond to the distress call very much. but once i start howling they come running, and like you said coyotes are very territorial and will come running in on sight of another invading coyote. the decoy is only 1 of 5 phases you have to know about when coyote, atleast in my opinon anyway

Don't hold out on us.. Lets here the other 4 phases!