Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ron Schara  (Read 10041 times)

Offline bemidjiman

• Outdoorsman
I've bit my lip long enough. Is it just me and my circle of friends or is Ron Schara just a d**k. I really am not fond of him and his latest article in the Outdoor News has put me over the edge.

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Cannot wait to get my new one in the mail tomorrow.  Look forward to what he wrote...not sure what I thik about him...have not encountered him ever.
« Last Edit: December 12/02/10, 09:40:54 PM by Stensethfan »
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Cannot wait to get my new one in the mail tomorrow.  Look forward to what he wrote...not sure what I thik about him...have not incountered him ever.

I read it....

I'm just going to  :censored: my tounge.

:popcorn:

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Now I am wishing I was one of the lucky ones who gets the Outdoor news in my mailbox on Thursdays!!!  I will be that guy waiting at the mailbox tomorrow about 10:30 when the mail carrier arrives!!
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Now I am wishing I was one of the lucky ones who gets the Outdoor news in my mailbox on Thursdays!!!  I will be that guy waiting at the mailbox tomorrow about 10:30 when the mail carrier arrives!!

LOL.... Hope your not disappointed.

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Not sure I can be!  Just interested in what he has to say!  I will make sure to comment after I get the paper tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 12/02/10, 09:49:36 PM by Stensethfan »

Offline bonecollecter82

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Come on someone speak up what did he right or say!!! Even if he is a d$$k his daughter is still hot!!!
What makes a BoneCollector?
They are the hunters that have the passion to go to the ends of the earth, in pursuit of the basic hunter instincy that was instilled in us at birth and is so often taken away in society.

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Come on someone speak up what did he right or say!!! Even if he is a d$$k his daughter is still hot!!!

Its about deer hunting. I just briefly heard about it tonight a friend texted me. I don't know the whole story yet but something along the lines of bashing against hunters who want bigger antlers and want to improve deer hunting in Minnesota.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
     If it is the article on page 11 of the Dec. 3rd issue we must not read quite the same. I have to agree with Ron %100. The article is bashing deer hunting television. %90 of deer hunting TV is a joke. I at one time had it on 24/7 in my shop, in the house or any place else I went. While I used to love watching it myself, I have grown tired of the same old thing. Whisper, whisper, aim, kill the deer and whisper some more is how I see them. Every once in awhile a decent one will air, but they are far and few between. While Ron states " he is not savvy enough to outfox a buck of a lifetime in 22 minutes of show time"  I am sure he understands a lot more goes into the actual 22 minutes aired. I think what he is getting at is he would like to see a bit more of that. Some of the missed shots and disappointment or maybe some of the scouting and time spent in the stand being unsuccessful. Not just the kill. More realistic perhaps. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing big deer down (maybe more than most of you), it pays the bills in my line of work. But I enjoy hearing about the missed opportunities that clients, friends, and family have as well. Or the ones they let walk. My favorites are the ones that little junior connected on or let get away. I enjoy an outing in the woods where I pass up a young deer as much as I do when I have success with an older buck or doe. Maybe, just maybe it is a part of maturing as a deer hunter..............
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree with Auggie.  I read the article last night and thought it reflected my opinion on the shows as well.  I admit, I do watch quite a few of the showes and some are done very well and others (mainly the Texas ones) seem to be nothing but big deer feeding on a road.  The ones I don't like are the "informercial" ones that are nothing but advertizing for a product or guide service. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
     If it is the article on page 11 of the Dec. 3rd issue we must not read quite the same. I have to agree with Ron %100. The article is bashing deer hunting television. %90 of deer hunting TV is a joke. I at one time had it on 24/7 in my shop, in the house or any place else I went. While I used to love watching it myself, I have grown tired of the same old thing. Whisper, whisper, aim, kill the deer and whisper some more is how I see them. Every once in awhile a decent one will air, but they are far and few between. While Ron states " he is not savvy enough to outfox a buck of a lifetime in 22 minutes of show time"  I am sure he understands a lot more goes into the actual 22 minutes aired. I think what he is getting at is he would like to see a bit more of that. Some of the missed shots and disappointment or maybe some of the scouting and time spent in the stand being unsuccessful. Not just the kill. More realistic perhaps. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing big deer down (maybe more than most of you), it pays the bills in my line of work. But I enjoy hearing about the missed opportunities that clients, friends, and family have as well. Or the ones they let walk. My favorites are the ones that little junior connected on or let get away. I enjoy an outing in the woods where I pass up a young deer as much as I do when I have success with an older buck or doe. Maybe, just maybe it is a part of maturing as a deer hunter..............

Hmmm... I haven't read it yet but it was told to me a different way. Like I said i'll have to bite my tounge until I actually read it.

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
If he's bashing those sell-out tv shows that focus only on 10,000 dollar 170 inch deer they pay for, then it's justly deserved. The only problem is that they are still on because average joe guy/gal actually watches it, and buys the products these "I'd like to thank...." idiots endorse. We all know endorsements get you money, but seriously how many times can you thank your rage broadhead or your climbing sticks to get you in your tree.... :moon: Thats probably why I watch that show from Benny Spies(sp?) from SD, the dude drives a beat up "toaster" RV and shoots anything and everything and doesn't care what anyone thinks.

What Tim and the rest of the online fellas @ Midwest Whitetail do is 100% more interesting than anything on tv nowadays. Heck, I even know about 4 or 5 guys personally that are on Versus all the time, and I still cannot watch the same crap over and over and over.....
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just read the article and here is what I got from it...an annoying feeling.  Okay, I have watched damn near every show possible sometimes two or three times.  Maybe I have no life, but I know that the hunt is more than 22 minutes long, but seriously does anyone really want to watch an entire 2 hour hunt on TV?  I don't and if I did I would just go fricken hunting!!!  I find it hard to beleive that anyone that is going to read, Ron's, story in Outdoor News watches those shows and thinks that they are going to walk out in the woods and actually have a better chance of shooting a record book buck or even a mature buck because they sat there through a 30 minute TV show.  It is all entertainment, I take it for what it is, and I move on.  I certainly doubt that the average Joe Hunter is doing any more than just that.  Mr Schara just needs to take some blood pressure meds sit back and enjoy himself a little more and quit acting so irrational.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I need to get this... i'm meeting a friend at Gander before we head out so I will buy it read it and report back!  :happy1: Maybe I am a little biased from the start here just because its from Schara... Can't stand that guy.

Offline JECAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I need to get this... i'm meeting a friend at Gander before we head out so I will buy it read it and report back!  :happy1: Maybe I am a little biased from the start here just because its from Schara... Can't stand that guy.
I grew up down the street from him... He's a snob.

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I must admit I liked his show that aired on Sunday nights because it covered Minnesota and Midwest topics, and I have never met him or been around him.  I am starting to get the feeling that he might feel he is loosing touch, due to age, with the media scene so he might be jealous and start bashing what he wishes he was?  Just my opinion and no, I am not a psychology major!

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
If you are in the public eye like Ron Schara or a star on midwest whitetail it does not take but a couple people to chat with that can occupy most all your free time. Hence comes the snob impressions when you need to cut someone off just to tend to daily business. Personally I have never had that impression from either of these superstars. At the state fair Raven the dog was on display and my kids saw the dog and went nuts. I let them go up and see up close and as I watched I noticed Mr. Schara by a podium of sorts alone. I casually stalked behind him and softly said to him " So it is true that Raven is really the star of the show". The old boy smiled and pointed out that was the case because there were no less than 40 people around the kennel ogling the dog and no line by him. He was very pleasant and for the short brush I had with the man I cannot make a firm diagnosis of his character. But I would lean in his favor.
(1st impression thing)

A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
       Raven # 2 is the star of the show.  Raven #1 had a litter of pups put up for lottery for a charity. Ron kept one pup out of that litter.(Raven #2). Raven #1 is gone.  I think it was ten dollars or so to get into the lottery.  I just remember I did not have the money to gamble  but I did anyways.  I didn't win.  The money went to a good charity and I knew what I was doing.  Had I won I wouldn't have the posse I have now.   As far as deer tv goes its a commercial.  So is fishing tv.  I'm old and watched Bill Dance bass fishing but I never purchased the color-C-lector. :rotflmao:  It came with colored markers you would paint your crankbait with.  I have never seen Ron pimp or push anything that looked like a joke.  I will give him the benifit of any doubt.    (All my neighbors think I am a prick too!!)
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
I grew up down the street from him... He's a snob.
Did you ever play with his daughter?.................. I better not go there. ;) ;D

I met Ron a few years back. Seemed like a nice enough guy to me. Had plenty of time for my son and his constant questions at the age of four. We were delivering a few mounts up to Gamefair in Anoka and had access the day before hand. For some reason or another it was just jr. and myself along with a bottle baby fawn we had to bring along cuz the  :queen2: wasn't around to feed her. They need bottles every few hours 24/7 for the first week or so. Anyway while I was unloading jr. walks right over and starts chatting with Ron. Next thing I know he is in my Burb looking at our little fawn with my son. Seemed like a decent fellow to me.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
If you are in the public eye like Ron Schara or a star on midwest whitetail it does not take but a couple people to chat with that can occupy most all your free time. Hence comes the snob impressions when you need to cut someone off just to tend to daily business. Personally I have never had that impression from either of these superstars. At the state fair Raven the dog was on display and my kids saw the dog and went nuts. I let them go up and see up close and as I watched I noticed Mr. Schara by a podium of sorts alone. I casually stalked behind him and softly said to him " So it is true that Raven is really the star of the show". The old boy smiled and pointed out that was the case because there were no less than 40 people around the kennel ogling the dog and no line by him. He was very pleasant and for the short brush I had with the man I cannot make a firm diagnosis of his character. But I would lean in his favor.
(1st impression thing)

Your a funny man Ken...  ;)

Oh and I read the article... pretty pointless, he answered his own gripe and question within the article. Must not of had anything to write about this week.  :scratch:

Offline icebanger

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have been friends with one of his daughters since high school and I have to say anytime Ive been around Ron he has been nothing but a great guy,I have been to his fishing clincs for kids and I had a great time teaching kids the basics on fishing.Ron invited me and a life long friend to go turkey hunting at his camp in South Dakota I got the chance to hunt with him for a day and I have too tell you I learned more that day between the art of turkey hunting to what trees were in the forest to him taking me to the last fort General Custard was at before Little Big horn.These are just a few that I remeber off the top of my head.Wether you agree with his articals or not dont judge him unless you meet him im sure we all have made someone mad here at MNO from a post or a responce to a post
« Last Edit: December 12/06/10, 12:14:29 AM by icebanger »

Offline JECAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If you are in the public eye like Ron Schara or a star on midwest whitetail it does not take but a couple people to chat with that can occupy most all your free time. Hence comes the snob impressions when you need to cut someone off just to tend to daily business...

Based on what some others have to say I'm going to say you're probably right here, and I do apologize for the brash remark.

Offline Joe@deerhunters

• Outdoorsman
I have met him many times and he is a good guy.  And lately I like the way he has been speaking his mind.  He nailed the bear circus in Ely pretty well to name one. I am sure I will not always agree but I like reading opinion pieces it makes for good campfire dialogue.

You gotta admit there is a lot of crap on outdoor TV.  I am pretty choosing about what I watch now a days after being glued to it for years when the Outdoor Channel first hit the cable.

Most importantly we do live in the good old USA :USA:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I have met him many times and he is a good guy.  And lately I like the way he has been speaking his mind.  He nailed the bear circus in Ely pretty well to name one. I am sure I will not always agree but I like reading opinion pieces it makes for good campfire dialogue.

You gotta admit there is a lot of crap on outdoor TV.  I am pretty choosing about what I watch now a days after being glued to it for years when the Outdoor Channel first hit the cable.

Most importantly we do live in the good old USA :USA:

Any copies of the Ely Bear Circus around on-line. I never read it.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been friends with one of his daughters since high school and I have to say anytime Ive been around Ron he has been nothing but a great guy,I have been to his fishing clincs for kids and I had a great time teaching kids the basics on fishing.Ron invited me and a life long friend to go turkey hunting at his camp in South Dakota I got the chance to hunt with him for a day and I have too tell you I learned more that day between the art of turkey hunting to what trees were in the forest to him taking me to the last fort General Custard was at before Little Big horn.These are just a few that I remeber off the top of my head.Wether you agree with his articals or not dont judge him unless you meet him im sure we all have made someone mad here at MNO from a post or a responce to a post

People are going to offer their opinions about anyone at anytime.  Most do so before meeting the person and that's okay.  I would like to meet him and I think he's a decent guy.  Others have had good experiences and some have not.  You can't make everyone happy.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline icebanger

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So true Big Red...Im sure when you meet him you will enjoy your time with him...Good Luck

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I'll have to look into it. It if is dissing the shows, I don't have a huge problem. A lot of these shows go to ranches to hunt. What's the sport in an arranged hung in a fenced area? Yea, you are going to get your deer. I know they are hug with a lot of acres fenced, but still they are hand raising these monster bucks. Not much sport in it if you ask me. I used to watch a lot and they pretty much bore me as they are all the same. There was a country singer girl who, on her show, would show two to three kills. Big deal, if I hand $10k to pay for the hunt that is all arranged, I'd be getting those too.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.