Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Detroit Lakes area fishing report. 12/21/10  (Read 4347 times)

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I got out yeasterday morning for about 4 hours. Ice was 13 inches thick and I fished in 10 fow. I was catching my fish on a Red hot Demon jig tipped with a Fathead minnow. I tryed to fish with Sucker minows but with no luck. Ended up catching 4 northerns, A handfull of average size perch that I turned back and 2 walley. Snow on the bay I was fishing caused a little flooding by the time I was ready to head off the lake.
 It was fun getting out again but I really need to get my snowmobile fixed. Its a lot of work for a fat guy like me to drag all that stuff out there. But It is worth it..
« Last Edit: December 12/22/10, 07:40:41 AM by pickelfarmer »
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline Swany

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
PF,
Do you hit up any of the pot hole lakes around DL? I have heard Leaf Lake is good but didn't catch anything there last year. I live in Fargo but am looking for a few good places between there and DL.
~Swany

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Great report - good to hear the fish are biting up there!   :fishing2:

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
PF,
Do you hit up any of the pot hole lakes around DL? I have heard Leaf Lake is good but didn't catch anything there last year. I live in Fargo but am looking for a few good places between there and DL.

I mostly fish on the East side of Detroit Lakes but in years past I Have fished a few of the lakes west of DL. Melissa, Sallie, Leaf, Big Cormrant are a few. I haven't really had much luck on Leaf. A friend of mine has a lot out there and I fished it a few times. Mostly Northerns. Big Cormrant can be good. I some pretty good luck out there 2 years ago.
Melissa is a fun lake to fish due to the huge Northerns in there. Both Melissa and Sallie have length restrictions on the Northerns and that is why they have such  nice fish in there.

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Did a little lake hoping yesterday and was able to scare up a few Bluegills. The snow on the lakes makes for some really interesting travel.  we stuck to the plowed and beaten down paths. I ended up hitting 3 different lakes with a buddy of mine and it was the same story on each one. I was kind of suprised that the slush wasn't to bad as long as you stayed on the beaten path. We need to get rid of some snow!!

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Great to hear from you again Pickel!   :happy1:
Nice Report!  I hope the fish start biting up there.  I know the East side of Franklin has some decent spots for bluegills if you are traveling around for gills.  I know there are alot of lakes aroung the area that hold gills though - so I think Franklin is a little ways from you compared to the others.

:fishing2: