Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: no plow??  (Read 5849 times)

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
wondering if anyone has used any of the no plow mix b4 and how it turned out for them?
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I know Cody has used a no plow mix before, but I'm not sure which one.  He did have good success with it.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I got a bag of no plow stuff on clearance one year.. all that grew from it was the oats. and the weeds choked the rest of it out in short order.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
What do you want to plant?

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
was looking at the throw and grow mix just putting in a few micro plots by the stands

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Almost everything that we plant for deer is a throw and grow. Clover, Rye grain, peas, rape, turnips, oats etc....if the seed makes soil contact it will more than likely grow. I normally try to shy away from throw and grow mixes from name brands. They put rye GRASS in a lot of them because it will grow anywhere and looks good and green but deer do not prefer it. If it's a area with weeds growing in it already do some weed control in there all summer long and then plant in August. If it's deep in the woods with a canopy over it and there isn't any undergrowth besides brush just clear out the brush maybe cut back some trees and plant. I would suggest a fast growing annual or bi-annual like Rye Grain or Dwarf Essex Rape. They do good in filtered sunlight and poor soils like the middle of your woods will probably have.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i have used the no plow from gander mountian and it grew, but the deer didnt touch it much. then i used imperial no plow this year(less rye grass in it) and it grew fast and the deer hit it hard. they hit it so hard that i actually had to replant a month later. i use these in the woods around stand areas in hopes to draw in a mature buck, in that thought is so he wont have to come out into the openness of a feild... i have larger plots of clover and we have pheasant fields of corn and sorgum so the deer eat what they want i guess. sorry for my rant im done now haha

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
For those of you who use as no plow, when should I start this process in preparation for gun deer season?  I'm thinking I should give it a try this year.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Red,
Here is my simple plan.
I'll assume you are starting with a clearing or grass/weed covered area.
Once the snow is gone and the ground is dry, clear out all rocks, sticks, and other junk.
Do nothing untill Memorial day then spray the entire area with Roundup. 
Wait two weeks and repeat the spraying.  You can then plant directly or wait a week or so.
Let nature take it's course and you will have a nice clover crop come fall.
This planting should last 3-4 years before you have to repeat.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
it took us a while to get anything to grow where we were happy with it. it's a slippery slope where this year it's no plow next year your buying a weed waker with the saw blade on it.. then a 4 wheeler with a drag and so on so on until you have a tractor and memorized the farmers almanac
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Like Big E said.  All seed is throw and grow.  Hear is what we did the first year we started food ploting. 
Spray the heck out of it like deadeye said.
After the second spraying we just got a bag of horse feed "oats" and spread them real thick. The oats are cheap 7-8 dollars, birds and mice get their share but that is why you spread it thick.

If you plant it to early you will have 2 options. 1 mow it down or just let it go to seed and let the new oats grow.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :rotflmao: :bonk: geez when i first saw this post i thought you guys where talkin some magic potion to get rid of the snow!!!!!!! :drinking: :drinking: :scratch: i tried this one year back up north in the woods where we deer hunt. it grew a little but i think the leaves from the trees killed it. dont think this was the stuff. where do i find something like this. and are you guys puttin this stuff in deep woods?
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The following was posted last fall by "LandDr".  l for one believe he knows what he is talking about.

""No Plow" is no more than simply putting down three or more times as much seed in an area as you would if you did some tillage.

In other words...anything on the market is "no plow" if you triple the seeding rate or even more.

If you throw enough seed down, something is bound to grow.  For the price you pay for seed for the amount of seed you are getting, I would recommend buying a more cost effective seed source and then just increase your seeding rate.

However, my highest recommendation if you don't want to or can't do tillage is to broadcast your seed in the very early spring when there is still a little snow on the ground...or at least there are freezing nights and thawing days.  The "freeze-thaw" action will work the seed down into the ground and you will get some pretty good results.  Works even better if you can spray the area the fall before so there is less competition in the spring when the seeds are coming up.

"no plow" is a marketing gimic.  Just read the label to see what the seeding rate is and you will understand what I mean.  Just buy a more cost effective and premium seed and increase the rate.

Land Dr"
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i to know that he knows what he is talkin about. not only does he have a bait store up in glenwood he does praire restoration etc for a living. its just when i tried this it didnt seem to do well. the fall leaves seemed to cover it and smother everything. my deer stands are 31/2 hours north of me and about 3/4 of a mile back into the woods. so not easy to tend to.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
guess I never thought about all the seeds as "no plow".. interesting perspective

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Here is a link to a thread on my no till plot from 2010.

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=20399.0

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is a link to a thread on my no till plot from 2010.

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=20399.0
looks like it turned out well thanks for the help  :happy1:

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
u put the smack down on her