Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Pit Bull Attack  (Read 1122 times)

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I've always read about them and figured it was only a matter of time before it happened to someone I knew.

I walk a couple of blocks to pick little Lizzy up from the school bus everyday. I trade off taking my German Shepard or my Beagle. Today I took Dakota (the German Shepard) and thank God I did.

We were standing at the corner and I turned my back to check on the bus. I heard some barking and a quick tug on the leash. This was all in a split second and by the time I turned around I saw my 12 year old Dakota reared up with a mass of pit bull. Before I knew it they were going at it hard and she had him down. I tugged the leash to pull Dakota back. At the same time my foot got planted across said pit bulls head. He let out a pretty yep and stood up with hair standing glaring at us. It took all I could to hold Dakota back as she wanted to rip him up.

By now the owner came out and looked over. I yelled out "you better get your dog or I'll do what I can to kill the damn thing". Probably more expletives in there at the time. He called and the dog went. I was just standing there shacking and checked over Dakota to make sure no blood and she was fine but shaking herself.

Keep in mind that while I wait for the bus there are anywhere between two and six bus' of kids showing up. One bus stopped, saw the commotion and left, not letting any kids off.

I got home, with Lizzy, and called Animal Control. This isn't the first complaint on these "owners". The dogs aren't licensed and they've been warned before.

Just had to vent. I love all animals but I just don't care for pit bulls. I have not seen or heard much good come from them. If you want them fine as long as it's legal to have them. But then license them and keep them secure. That's for any animal.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   Wow.  That could have turned out a lot worse.  Glad everyone is ok.   What if it was a kid?  They would not have a chance.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
 :taz:

Glad to hear you and your dog weren't hurt (too bad)!  That is scary though - usually its only isolated incidences with pitbull attacks, since more owners dont let them get that crazy - but I guess they are just crazy dogs!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
As a UPS driver I have seen WAY to many pitbulls and hate all but one that I have come into contact with.  They are not the only breed that I dislike, german shepards and dobermans are a close 2nd and 3rd.

Glad everything turned out ok.  Trust no dog and teach your kids the same.

A couple times a year a driver will get bit in our center.  Last year a driver killed a pitbull with his electronic board.  Broke it over the dogs head.  The owner didn't even care.  He had a new mean attack dog a week later.  We will not deliver to his house, EVER.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I was pretty shaken and thank God it wasn't a kid. I hear ya dakids on those breads. But there is something that sets pits above all others. Once they bite, they don't let go and have jaws of steel. My shepard is a big baby but I know what she could do if she was violent. I believe she never would hurt a soul. That being said, I don't let her get in situations where something like that could happen. She's never out of the yard unless on a leash. When walking and other people are present, the leash is shortened to where she can't leave my side.

99.9% of these attacks are due to owner neglect. Give the dog a chance and something most likely will happen. Now make that dog a pit bull and it's almost a certainty.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
In my younger days I would help the local K-9 officer with his training.  His sheaperd would bite and hold the padded arm guard and wouldn't let go until his master called him off.  I was told to hit the dogs on the nose or head to try and get them to let go.  they ussually would just bite harder.  I would get bruses because the dogs bit pretty hard.  The rotwilers bite was harder than the sheaperd.
I agree that pitbulls are scary beasts, mostly by training, but the dog wisperer has shown me that the breed is capable of being gentle but from my own experiance they are 99% mean killers.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.