Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Food Plots  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just planted 3 food plots. All about 2 or 3 acers. We planted Rye on Thursday Aug. 25 and clover mix on Sat Aug20. Hard to beleve the rye was coming up on Sunday Aug 21 and the clover mix on Monday evening. now some rye is 4 " high, clover about 1".Please let rain. It is getting dry.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I believe you made good choices.   The deer will be pounding the rye soon and the clover all fall.  Six to nine acres is a lot of food plot.  You must have good access with large equipment.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just put them around  3 stands and the trails fince line leadind to the stands,out to about 100 yards.i used a JD 4wd small tractor with a tiller. worked great. :dancinred:

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Last night I went out and  some of the ryr is 6" Tall!! Some of the clover is 2"tall. Could not see any turnips or chickory yet. 50% chance of rain tonight. It is so dry now>

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
thats awesome. that stuff does grow real fast. i planted sugar beets a week ago, hoping they catch on, i did it about 2 weeks to late for my liking.. thats for my fall plot, so when first frost happens deer wont be able to say no to them.

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
cody will that be the same for the crush suger beats? it comes in the bags

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
if its in a bag and not plantable/a liquid/salt or mineral lick. it may be considered baiting. may want to look into that. sense there already crushed alot of the sugar may of already been pushed out of them, im not sure about that though

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The rain yesterday is just what than the doctor ordered! :toast:

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
it wasent much but enoph

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It will help. I have a lot of sand at my place so it could rain alot and not have standing water. Looked at it last nite and it is filling in and thicking up.

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was wrong!! I bet there was some of you laughting at me!! The Rye is up good, but it isnt colver comeing up it is Turnips, ruttabegy,sp? It sure looket like clover> No sigh of the clover yet? Need rain

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
my sugar beets are coming up nicely. ill have pics up later today. my other no till plot is up and thick!

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman

here is the start of our food plot last week in AUG.

and last week after all the rains.
-we also did a short logging trail (ground zero for the big buck kill)

« Last Edit: September 09/09/11, 03:01:03 AM by stevejedlenski »
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nice!! Looks like you have a lot better soil than I do. Mine is all sand. I put 268 gallons on water on it lase nite. Hope that will help.

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Do you plan on just having the food plot for this fall and replant something else in the spring?
If you want it for the spring you may have planted it too soon. If the rye grain joints before the frost gets it it will not come back in the spring. Should make good  :archery: plot this fall any way.

Offline Sew Sille

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
We put 8 tanks of 268  gallons water on it so far. The chickory and clover is starting to come up.

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
planted 3 + acers of rye sat.
the dry spell got the rape/chickory slowed down in the sand but the low area is 18'' high from the 4 of july. had 5 deer on the camera at one time in a 1/2 acer patch this weekend.