Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: A scary lesson: eating compost can be fatal to pets  (Read 3034 times)

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
A scary lesson: eating compost can be fatal to pets
compost bin.
The vet techs shaved his front legs to insert IV catheters so he could receive a steady drip of anti-seizure medication intravenously throughout the night. They also induced vomiting, gave him a muscle relaxer and made him drink a charcoal liquid — and his was a mild case.
Most people I’ve talked to about the ordeal didn’t realize that compost could poison a dog. After all, it’s just fruits, vegetables, grains, eggshells and paper, right? The problem is a fungus that can be in decomposing objects, particularly those with moist food, including compost and garbage.

The main symptom of tremorgenic mycotoxin intoxication, as the name suggests, is tremors. On a recent Monday, about two hours after I chased him from the compost bin, Pugs began shaking all over and not vomiting. Not all dogs vomit as a result of the toxin, if  Pugs did, he would have  prevented some of the toxins from staying in his system. That would have made his case less severe.

The nonstop shaking seemed so unusual that I called the vet,

The staff told me to bring him in. On the drive to vet he next to me snuggling close to me and resting his head atop my lap, drooling. I found out later that the mycotoxin affects the central nervous system and can cause hallucinations.
Pugs symptoms were nonspecific, but veterinarian intern, was able to make a diagnosis quickly because I told her that he had been in the compost bin that day.

Vet said early treatment is crucial. If left untreated, the toxins can lead to seizures and death. (Any seizure that lasts long enough can kill a dog.) Also, the tremors can cause a dog’s temperature to spike. Not treating the problem is very risky.

Pet owners should not try to induce vomiting in their pet because the tremors and loss of muscle control could cause the dog to aspirate — inhale vomit — which could lead to pneumonia. A vet needs to decide whether inducing vomiting is safe.

“There’s nothing that a pet owner can do at home that’ll help them,” vet said.

There are few reports in the veterinary world about tremorgenic mycotoxin intoxication, she said. In one report she found, four dogs were normal after 48 hours of hospitalization.
But vet said he expects the issue will get more attention as more people take up backyard 

“We hadn’t really seen it before,” vet  said. “It’s kind of new vet clinics in the past few years.”

Make sure dogs can’t get to compost piles and garbage cans, she said. If you see your dog ingest compost, watch for tremors, vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy. Other outdoor hazards that pet owners should keep in mind are rodent bait and antifreeze.

Offline Molson

• Outdoorsman
  • My new fishing boat
Old post I know! The wifey started composting two years ago, thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread, I think it stinks and is a waste of time  :banghead: Now I go into summer worrying about the pile and my 4 month Brit. I do thank you for the post though, I would've never thought of it.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
As long as you fence where your pile is and turn it not a big problem. Still a good place to keep worms for fishing!  :fishing2:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
As long as you fence where your pile is and turn it not a big problem. Still a good place to keep worms for fishing!  :fishing2:

Yes turn it the key