Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: racoon hunting at night  (Read 1698 times)

Offline southie

greetings everyone, I've heard some conflicting info lately so I thought I'd try to get this figured out. Do I legally need a dog to hunt coons at night? Is it legal to shine from a vehicle? Is it legal to use a pistol(.22 lr or centerfire)? thanks for your help.

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
you can not legally shine from a vehicle if you have a gun in there. Cant even have a spot light and gun in vehicle at the same time anymore. Im not sure about the whole dog situation though.

And this is what the regulation book has to say on it.

Raccoons
Night Hunting
A person may take raccoons between ½ hr. after sunset and ½ hr.
before sunrise only in accordance
with the following regulations:
• Hunters must be on foot.
• Artificial lights may be used to locate, attempt to locate, or shoot a
raccoon
only if the raccoon has been treed or put at bay by dogs.
• Rifles and handguns used must be .17 or .22 caliber rimfire
(including .22 magnum).
• Shotgun shells may not contain shot larger than No. 4 bird shot.

Offline rofferneil

• Outdoorsman
But better i think its not allowed but its really adventure for all of us. Good topic to discuss.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe it's legal w/o a dog as long as you don't use artificial light.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson