Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cattleman/wolf hunt won't work.  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
     :reporter;..Cattleman figures wolf hunt won't work. :whistling:

:coffee: and decide for yourself :scratch:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/138263784.html  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 02/01/12, 08:30:47 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline CampYJewel

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't think the wolf hunt will be a cure all but it is better then nothing!  And I agree with him that they will be very hard to trap or shoot.  They are so smart!  One of the reasons you rarley see one.

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
    You can't really argue with the experience these old timers have.   They've live with the problem from then till now.   If you want to know how a place is actually run, ask the workers, not the boss.   I believe the DNR numbers are rather inaccurate, and this man's experience proves that rather well.   This is just one man and one farm, think of how many simular experiences there are.   

Is hunting and trapping them the solution?   My opinion, not really.   Yes, it will help with some, but it may just help the wolves even more so.   Like stated in the article, it will indeed educate them.   Take the close relative, the coyote.   Ever trapped for them?   Ever hunted for them?   They are an apex preditor.   Whole different ball game.   I have never hunted/trapped anything that became so pressure smart so quickly.   And, for the most part, how many hardcore hunters and trappers for wolves would we have?   Enough to make a population impact?   I don't think so.   Most of our people population is south of the wolves population making it hard for most to head north to really go for it.   

Don't get me wrong, I would love a crack at one.   Thinking full body mount!?!   What is the answer?   Free for all?   Government bounties?   Is having a sudden trapping and hunting season another revenue attempt?   Special lisences?   Etc....

The way I see it, it comes down to poor management.   I read an article stating that wolves could have been taken of the list in the late 80's.   I think the rising amount of complaints are what has driven this to become what it is.   Who really knows how many there really are.   Again, like the coyotes.   There are soooo many of those critter that it's almost hard to comprehend, but how many of them do you ever see?   K-9's are extremely good at what they do, staying out of harms way and hunting.   Oh, can't forget breeding.   I think this wolves situation has been kept on the back burner for too long and now we are seeing the result of that.   This really goes to show how important proper management really is.   

In my own way, I agree with the old farmer.  A little, a little too late.   Now, the problem has become something that will be very hard to deal with in this day and age.   From outdoorsman, to farmers and landowners, to anti's, to the media, to the government, and so on and so on.
Shoot straight and give'em the shaft!

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
ne more thing, Brzoznowski says.

"I never got my $58,000.''

wonder if the government will give him this now to try and keep him quiet

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Hunting them will not work very well but trapping will. I know a number of guys that are already gearing up for it. Many of whom have caught and had to release them. One guy this yr alone had 13 such cases. Will be interesting to see how things turn out and what kind of resrictions are put in place.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson