Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What the heck is this guy doing?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
While out in the woods yesterday, I came across this guy plowing his way across a field.  I have seen a number of tracks made by muskrats and was wondering if anyone knew why they are out so early?

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Feb is the time that the last years young get kicked out of the nest to make way for the new arrivals. For the next month you will notice a lot of muskrats on the road, dead.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
I agree though, it does seem a little early. I suspect the unusually warm weather has a lot to do with it.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
   Catch him, that's some prime fur!!!!   I'm still trappin' rats now.   At least from the metro and south, what I've been noticing is a lot of it is freeze outs.   I know it hasn't been super cold but cold enough for ice.   The reason I believe this winter is bad for this is because, again down here, the water is insanely low.   Their runs are froze and the huts were made in spring and through out the summer.    Then in fall during the drought, now a ton of the huts are upwards of 20 yards up on mud land.   Frozen runs means frozen huts, becasue the rats have a hard time keeping them open.   I've been seeing a ton of tracks on the ice from rats burrowing out the side of their huts, which is from freeze outs.   Hard to believe with this winter, but I'm saying it's very related to the low water levels.   I've had my hand in a LOT of huts in the last few weeks...
Shoot straight and give'em the shaft!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
   Catch him, that's some prime fur!!!!   I'm still trappin' rats now.   At least from the metro and south, what I've been noticing is a lot of it is freeze outs.   I know it hasn't been super cold but cold enough for ice.   The reason I believe this winter is bad for this is because, again down here, the water is insanely low.   Their runs are froze and the huts were made in spring and through out the summer.    Then in fall during the drought, now a ton of the huts are upwards of 20 yards up on mud land.   Frozen runs means frozen huts, becasue the rats have a hard time keeping them open.   I've been seeing a ton of tracks on the ice from rats burrowing out the side of their huts, which is from freeze outs.   Hard to believe with this winter, but I'm saying it's very related to the low water levels.   I've had my hand in a LOT of huts in the last few weeks...

That's the reason is freeze out. Usually they don't build huts in spring though it's in the fall that they build them. They build in the fall as they need them most in winter and that usually after all the water fluctuations are done. Like this yr it doesn't always work out that way.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
I've seen lots of rats in spring dragging housing materials and building.   Our farm, which is all restored wettlands, is FULL of them on duck opener every year.   This is the end of September begining of October and the huts are all up, I duck hunt on them.   I watch them work their huts ALL year round.   The o'l mash hares never stop working.  Never.   

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess I have never seen them build huts any time of yr other than fall. I have seen them try and maintain huts that are already there but come fall they build new ones. I know the fall of 2010 (late sept)one pond didn't have a single hut on it and the next w/e there was over 300 that could be seen. Turned out to be allot more than that as he took over 3700 rats outta there in 3 weeks. I don't believe that many rats just moved in as I was with him when he scouted. Rats were everywhere but no huts. It's just my opinion but rats are cyclyic(sp) as are some other animals and the population density could prolly play a factor in thier housing situation.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline NephronRacing

• Outdoorsman
They had one attack at least one horse where I keep my daughters horse.  One of their dogs ended up killing it.  It was taken in to check for rabies.

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
3,700 rats!!!   In 3 weeks!!!   That's one busy dude!!!   Super awesome!!!

That's such an amazing number I almost question the possibility in that.   That averages out to be about 177 rats per day, everyday for 3 weeks.   That's a ton of steel to have out and I'm not so sure there is enough light in a day for one man to run those numbers.   If so, that is absolutely insane!!!!      :Clap:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
3,700 rats!!!   In 3 weeks!!!   That's one busy dude!!!   Super awesome!!!

That's such an amazing number I almost question the possibility in that.   That averages out to be about 177 rats per day, everyday for 3 weeks.   That's a ton of steel to have out and I'm not so sure there is enough light in a day for one man to run those numbers.   If so, that is absolutely insane!!!!      :Clap:

now to really blow ur mind. Then the next spring(2011) he got 7007 in 5 weeks. Most will never even fathom the idea of such catches and many think it's impossible, therefore they have eliminated themselves from ever making a catch like that. It all boils down to being prepared and trapline managment and a real good population. He wasn't running as many traps as you might think but one day he run his traps 3 times an ended up with over 500 for the day. A catch I find more difficult is that guy who annually catchs 4000-5000 coon a season and yes there is a guy doing that. Been doing so for a number of yrs. Most will never comprehend the DDD of these guys.
~Thomas Jefferson