Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dog owners/traps killing pets  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:reporter; Dog owners say traps are killing their pets, seek changes to laws.

:coffee: more...
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/221880/group/Outdoors/
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I wonder....  Is this the same John Reynolds who caused the DNR to take down there web site blog many years ago.  I remember some one from Merrified with the same name being very (maybe I'm being nice here), very abusive to anyone who didn't share his view.  He was mostly upset because the DNR didn't let him have his invasive species carp ponds.   Hummmm.

Trapper loses dog

John Reynolds, 58, of Merrifield, Minn., is a longtime hunter and trapper who was trapping fox on public land near Emily, Minn., in December with his 50-pound springer spaniel, Penni, when his dog disappeared.
He later found her dead in a baited body-gripping trap set by another trapper.
“She meant the world to me,” he said.
The trap was legally set, so Reynolds didn’t report the incident. But he has established an online petition (see http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/mark-dayton-governor-minnesota/) to outlaw body-gripping traps on public land. He wants them allowed only underwater (for beavers, muskrats and otters) or 5 feet off the ground, so dogs can’t get caught.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I wonder if he used "killer traps" when he was trapping, and if he ever caught someone's pet in his trap.

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
Soon cars will be illegal.

Why (since we have humanized dogs) don't they worry about the coon or bobcat.

We are getting closer to tyranny, and farther from LIBERTY!!!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
something to me has sounded fishy about this story from the get go an now it just dawned on me what it was.

is a longtime hunter and trapper who was trapping fox on public land near Emily, Minn., in December with his 50-pound springer spaniel, Penni, when his dog disappeared.

Now I have some reading to do as it used to be against the law to trap with a dog by side unless on a leash. It may have gotton changed but I'm going to find out.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I just checked and couldn't find anything about trapping with a dog other than mink may not be taken with the aid of a dog. So am guessing that the law has been dropped.

Still the person obviously was not in control of the dog to begin with, either that or the person was not paying attention to the dog. Many are quick to blame traps or trappers yet not many ? the responsibility of the pet owner or lack of.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Yea Deadeye, I would bet it was him. Remember what a whiner he was at the DNR site,
And his grass carp farm.....

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com