Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR kills collared bear  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
               :police: DNR kills nuisance collared bear in Ely area :fudd:
                         (Released August 3, 2012)

A conservation officer with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) shot and killed a collared black bear on Thursday, Aug. 2 in the Ely area after it entered a garage where children were present and refused to leave the area.

The agency received a call from upset residents whose children were in their garage when a bear entered it. The residents reported they made repeated unsuccessful attempts to scare the bear away, including using an air horn, and that the bear snarled at them.

They called the DNR, and two conservation officers arrived to find the bear still in the area. The bear appeared to have been habituated to humans through hand feeding. After the bear refused to leave the residence, despite attempts by a conservation officer to frighten it away, the officer killed it.

The bear had been collared by a local research organization. DNR officials contacted officials at the organization and informed them that the bear had been killed. The DNR will examine the bear carcass for disease or other maladies.

Under DNR policy and state law, conservation officers and other enforcement agencies may kill nuisance bears if it is determined the bear is a threat to public safety. The DNR generally does not trap and relocate nuisance bears because the animals often will return to the same area or create a problem somewhere else. An average of about 20 bears are killed legally each year in Minnesota under state laws that allow private property owners or peace officers to take bears to protect property and public safety.

Minnesota has a strong population of about 19,000 bears. To learn more about living in bear country, visit DNR website.

Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
       Researcher: DNR officers shouldn't have killed bear. :taz:

:coffee: OK!  :banghead: here's the other side of the story...........

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_21229237/dnr-officer-kills-collared-bear-ely-area-garage
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This is the same man singing the same old story. "The animals that I am studying are cute and harmless as puppies." It is only a matter of time till one of "his" bears has an unfortunate incident where some one minding their own business is attacked and possibly killed.
It is time for the DNR to end his research permit which according to the article has become somewhat of a circus sideshow.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
makes the DNR out to be the bad guys. its complete BS. he says it wasnt a research bear. ok fine. but how does a random bear, that hes been helping/not feeding by hand. go up to dnr officers nosing and smelling the hands for food. AH HUH some researchers are lying. i dont know how any of the data they collect from these bears can be even remotly accurate to the everyday bear life.

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
personally i hope they pull his permit. this is by no means research unless its for documenting the lives of zoo animals without fences. these bears are tame and he should have to buy his own blackbears that he has fenced in to do his "research". there is no good coming from this, it is just causing conflict between wildlife management and extremists. pull his permit and have him open a petting zoo! save us all some controversy
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i agree with you steve. pull his permits, if he wants to study his pets he can do it in canada. im tired of hearing about this guys pet bears getting shot, and  im tired of the hunters and Dnr officers getting roasted for doing there job. he is just pushing his weight around knowing that his extremeist followers will back him 100%. he actually turning it all into one big joke.

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Totally agree Cody, don't think he's research is going to well, he obviously lost the whereabouts of this bears living area for quite some time as it appears or he would have done something!!!  All he is doing is using wild state bears for propaganda and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:moon:
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
Your drilled I Cody
I might not be good at pulling the key points out of story's at school nd when I find em I normally don't agree with them but this one nails it

im tired of the hunters and Dnr officers getting roasted for doing there job.