Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Texan moving to DL area  (Read 3295 times)

Offline dokrichy

• If you aint Cav........
Hey guys, going to be moving up to Detroit Lakes from Amarillo this month for a new job (and to make the missus happy). Pretty excited for the hunting, however, most posts about Detroit Lakes seem to be about fishing. Not a big fish guy, any hunters there that could fill me in on hunting around there? I've read the MN DNR web stuff, just looking for some local perspective. Thanks!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I am not from the area but have heard good things about the hunting there.  Here are some local hunting opportunities I found.

http://www.scout.me/hunting--near--detroit-lakes-mn/date-anytime

Good luck
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Onin24Eagle

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I lived just West of DL for quite a while and I still have a lot of friends and some family in the area.  As you mention, the fishing is pretty good there.  Then again, it's pretty good just about anywhere in this state.  As far as hunting goes, waterfowl is excellent in the DL area (especially West of town), deer hunting is very good and there are some very large bucks taken in that area on a yearly basis.  The problem with deer hunting is that it's very popular and it's hard to find any private land to hunt unless you are fortunate enough to have your own (or have relatives that do).  There are still plenty of public lands available for deer hunting but you may find them a tad crowded at times.  A lot of people I know will travel an hour or so North to find less crowded public lands for deer.  There's not much in the category of upland game.  For grouse, head N/NE to the White Earth State Forest.  For Pheasant, an hour drive S/SW will get you to some somewhat decent populations.  There are some Turkeys in the area if you're willing to work for them and the landowners are a little more open to letting turkey hunters on their land vs deer hunters. 
2011 MNO Deer Hunting Challenge Champion