Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Any mechanics out there?  (Read 3299 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I had the unpleasant of seeing a puddle under my truck while backing out of my garage this AM.  It looked like oil but was dripping just forward of the gas fill and under the rear door (driver side)on my 2008 chevy silverado.  It has 90,000 miles on it.  I drove a 1/2 mile and added 3 quarts of oil.  The oil pressure ran a little higher than normal on my way to work.  I will check the oil level again at lunch time.  The leak is a pretty fast drip, drip.  I can't see where it is coming from.  I will be taking it to  Polar Chev. in the afternoon tommorow.  Is it safe to drive if I keep the oil level up.  Any thoughts on what it might be?
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If it took 3 quarts of oil to go 1/2 mile I would not drive it. The gas engine only takes 6 quarts for an oil change. At that rate you may be out of oil after 1 mile. It must be spraying onto the frame and running back that far.
The idea of towing the truck to the shop may seem expensive but will be cheaper than replacing the engine because of a leaking oil line somewhere.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   It was 3 quarts low from leaking all night.  I didn't have any oil at home so made the run to SA.  That's where I found out I was three quarts low.  I will check the level again at noon.  If it's dry I will have it towed. 
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think some of those trucks have an oil cooler and the lines are know to leak.  Simple fix is to just remove the line and plug the holes. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  I ran down to check it at lunch time.  The oil level has not dropped.  There is a small area where dripping is evident.  Not a puddle just a few drips.  I park in the same place everyday and there are no other spots so whatever it is just happened this weekend.  I was out of town and had to pull my boat a long distance not that that should matter.  I will look into it further when I get home.   :scratch:

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
  I had the unpleasant of seeing a puddle under my truck while backing out of my garage this AM.  It looked like oil but was dripping just forward of the gas fill and under the rear door (driver side)on my 2008 chevy silverado.  It has 90,000 miles on it.  I drove a 1/2 mile and added 3 quarts of oil.  The oil pressure ran a little higher than normal on my way to work.  I will check the oil level again at lunch time.  The leak is a pretty fast drip, drip.  I can't see where it is coming from.  I will be taking it to  Polar Chev. in the afternoon tommorow.  Is it safe to drive if I keep the oil level up.  Any thoughts on what it might be?
So what happen?
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   It turned out not to be oil.  I checked the oil 2x/ day for a couple of days after and saw no more dripping.  The oil level did not change either.  It turned out I had a 12 volt battery in the bed.  The battery was shot and I will be trading it in at Fleet Farm for a new one.  The battery had flipped on it's side and broke the seal.  It was battery acid that flowed to  the front of the bed and leaked out.  It turns out my truck seems to be burning a little oil now.  I never had a problem getting to the next oil change without running low.  Long story short- I will be checking the oil more often to avoid the catastrophic problem I was imagining.   :whistling:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
 You have the dreaded 5.3 active fuel msnagrment oil sucker.  Hopefully you are still in the 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty.  Don't let them bs you either get it in there and get it on record that the problem started under warranty.  If out of warranty trade it off. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood