Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: potatoes  (Read 3068 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anyone buy or grow any white spuds?????? we bought a 50 lb bag and they where the worst I ever seen. small and most all with bad spots!!!!!!

just wondering what everyone else has encountered.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We grow our own and I only grow the red ones.  It seemed when we grew white ones they would get to big and become hollow.  My brother grows the Yukon gold ones and has good luck with them.  We planted 100 pounds of seed so we had a LOT of taters.  We have a pull behind planter and also a digger that does all the hard work.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
the whites that I grew this summer were on the small size but having a short season I think is the reason for that. I got a lot more "Stew tattters" then "French Fry makers" but they have so far been very tasty! Of course if you are buying tatters you have a very good chance that they are last years crop still, as it is not uncommon for store bought tatters to be 8-12 months old
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought these taters from an amish family. there this years crop. the reds are good. these people sell cherries spuds blueberries peaches and pears and they are top notch products. they will open the box they come in and replace anything that looks crappy.

I new based on articles the taters where going to be small.........I can deal with that but man I think a good 40% of the whites where waste.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
This year I grew yukon golds,Northland reds, another common red??? and russets.This was my best year for size.the quanity was low the quality was great.They were done by July earliest I ever had!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
This year I grew yukon golds,Northland reds, another common red??? and russets.This was my best year for size.the quanity was low the quality was great.They were done by July earliest I ever had!!
musta been that "special" fertilizer!!!!!!!! :whistling: :whistling: :bow: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Living up here in the wasteland of northern Minnesota I was lucky to get my stuff in the ground by mid June, tatters in July ! I would have had to planted them already full grown!  :rotflmao:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

Same here in regards to size.  However the quantity was fantastic.  I had about 100 gallons of potatoes reds and golds.  Maybe it was because of the trick Corny gave me to bust up the tops and I pulled all the flowers off or most of them.  We dug some up as we needed them to eat probably starting in August, but I left everything else in the ground until the first frost.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood