Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Loopers and cohos are hot...NOW!!!  (Read 2846 times)

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just got off the horn w/ Justin at Marine General in Duluth.? He reported that the Loopers and particularly cohos are really going right now.
The Lester, French, Sucker, Bluebird Landing, Stoney Point and the breakwall at Two Harbors are all giving up fish.? Crawlers and waxies on "looper bugs" under floats is very productive, as are spoons.? The rivers are socked in yet, so everything is happening out in the lake.
If you have yet to tie into a 30+" looper (basically a muscle w/ fins ;D) and witnessed a couple of hundred feet of line leave your spinning reel in a big hurry, now's the time to check it out!
If you have any questions regarding tactics, rigging, equipment, where to go, etc., just hop on board and I'll share what I know.
Ahem...cough-cough...I feel a wee bit o' tickle in me throat...may need to take a day off soon and fis...er, rest! ;D ;D ;D
A couple of shots to whet yer whistle!

Good fishin,
Dan
« Last Edit: March 03/23/06, 10:50:44 AM by 7Pines »

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Must be 10 yrs since I've done that. Although we didn't do real well. Let me be honest, nothing. It was fun and we did get to bring home fish. How does that work.

It goes something like this. Not having any luck after trying from shore and from boat, the last day we try from shore in a large group. After awhile started talking to this older gentleman who seemed to know a bit. Atleast he had fish. While doing so he hooks a nice fish but can't seem to get it from shore. So walking out there in my waders to grab it for him, I slip on a rock just as I grab the fish. Well not wanting to lose the fish for the man I must have put a grip on that fish like an eagle as I didn't lose it. The chilly part was when the water came up over the top of my waders. Now that water was COLD. After everyone settled down from the laughter at my expense, the man told me to take his fish. I was going to tell him that was not neccessary but through my chattering teeth I couldn't even stop from biting my tounge.

I raced to the car to grab a set of dry clothes and start to warm it up. The car wouldn't warm up fast enough and I never even noticed the guy left his bucket with his entire limit by the car as I warmed up. I went to give the man back his fish but couldn't find him anywhere around. So now ya know the story of the fish I got to keep that I never caught.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
Griz and/or Dan, you guys up for a road trip?
Goose was talking about this just yesterday. Griz, you make it up to my place and we'll hop in the BOT-mobile with Goose and point it down hill to the big water!
i just gotta figure out what kinda gear we'll need.
I sure hopw Dan can make it, cause if he can't you then would be the most experienced guy on the trip :-\
one way or another we'll get it done ;)
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If I could do anything, it'd need to be a weekday...the weekends right through May are are pretty much shot w/ lodge gigs and family stuff. :-\
Just FYI, the lakers can be fun up there from shore too once the season opens early May.  That's just a matter of chucking spoons and stickbaits at the river mouths.
Something else to think about!
Dan

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
Dan, i just got off the phone with griz. i told him Wed.Thur.or Fri look good for me. i will have to see what he comes up with and talk to Goose.

we would love to have you along. heck, none of us know what we are doing, but hell, i've been there before ;D
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey that was a fun trip guys although not very productive, well OK we didn't get a thing. We did learn a bunch and should give it another try come spring. I know it would be another adventure but a much more successful one I'm sure. What ya thunkin?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson