Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2014 gardening  (Read 21954 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I snow is butt deep but spring is just around the corner. so anybody thinkin about there garden plans yet??????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Nope just bought a snowmobile.  Picking it up this weekend.  But I'll be planting the Ol' Weed Patch this year. :happy1:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked up some seeds the other day.  I plan to start the plants (at least have the wife start them) in doors because I don't think they can go out until Memorial day.  That is if the frost is out by then.
 :campfire:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I am starting a list on what I need. I want to get into growing more of my own seasonings like savory, oregano etc. I am for the first time planted garlic and interested to see hoe that all shakes out.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Glenn you should have planted your garlic in October before the ground froze....will be the first thing up ..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I did..............I did!!!!!!!!!! covered also with lotz of mulch. harvest in july. let dry keep your best bunches to replant!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Have my tobacco, celery and cherry tomatoes in the mini greenhouses starting to sprout. Garden is buried in 44 inches of snow, we just measured it!  :snow5:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline CampYJewel

• Master Outdoorsman
It has crossed my mind a few times but nothing planted yet.  I have saved a few milk cartons for planters if nothing else!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I tried the planting things from seeds last year. cut down on the greenhouse fee but this year will just get all  my plants from the greenhouse again. the normal carrot radishes etc will again be purchased as normal.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I tried the planting things from seeds last year. cut down on the greenhouse fee but this year will just get all  my plants from the greenhouse again. the normal carrot radishes etc will again be purchased as normal.
Haha With that ?? Less than green thumb you have,I spose even stinging nettles and poision ivy are hard to grow.Must be the soil EH?
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
naw.ma was less then impressed with cups all over the place and took up a lot of time. us union thugs are busy!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Yep Glenn I hear that.  One 30 min trip to the store and plants already started.  A couple hours and the garden is planted.  The opportunity cost alone is worth doing it this way for me.  However when I'm retired and bored out of my mind I'd be happy to start from scratch.  But then I'll probably be telling myself I could be fishing right now instead of watering plants.   ;)

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I for one have plenty of time to start plants in my own greenhouse. Of course I am not just doing them for myself as I start plants for family, friends and neighbors. The bartering and donations I get back more then covers the time spent on the plants. I have also been doing it for over twenty years so I have some experience at it. As for watering grand kids get a kick out of watching seeds grow in to plants taller then they can reach and now all of them have their own gardens. The real time consumers are peppers and I am finding that celery along with the tobacco I am trying this year need to be seeded three months before ground planting. Only time I have any seed pots in the house is right now but by mid April everything will be out in the green house. A real good way to get an extra start on what I am guessing is going to be another short growing season up North here.

Have been doing a lot of container gardening the last few years and starting plants early lets me just move the plants right out onto the deck and lets me bring them back in come fall. Work's really good for cherry tomatoes and peppers. I still have peppers growing in November indoors. Of course we are not talking about dozens of plants but hundreds. By the time fishing season arrives Green house is pretty empty of plants other then the ones for my own garden and containers, and of course the flowers that will be transplanted to pots, that is the wife's job.

I still get some plants from the local greenhouse, but I have an inside girl who gets me stuff right off the truck and it never makes it to the sales floor. We do that a lot with flats of flowers and sometimes if she spots really good pepper plants.
Bobby Bass

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm a ways from retirement yet but even then I don't think I would be doing the starter seed thing again. don't get me wrong I kind of enjoyed it but I really don't run out of things to do.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't worry Glen when you hit retirement you will have plenty to do. Seems like when people hear you are retired you must have nothing to do and time on your hands so they go out of there way to try and keep you busy with their projects :rotflmao: Only another retired person can share retirement. Younger folks who still have another twenty years to work try to make retirement sound like a bad thing. I find the ones who retire and complaint about having nothing to do came from a life of working and had no hobbies. No work, nothing to do. Ask Lee how retirement is going for him. All he seems to do is  :fishing2:    :happy1: My Buddy Chuck and I we are both retired now and we have no problem finding things to do, sometimes it is hard to find time to go fishing till one of us reminds the other that we are Retired!
Bobby Bass

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so anyone thinkin of playing in the dirt yet??? last nite I threw some 10-10-10 on the horseradish and winter onion/rubarb patch and raked it in. going out to the camp groundt his weekend to do the same with my garlic, other onion patch and asparagus patches!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 I am tilling today.Getting Sandy setup for small gardens.Since the neck is off till June I gotta do some gardens.Long term like corn,Popcorn taters onions,course my favorite spinach and lettuce Greens.Maters,beets and some of what she wants to care for! Got to get a outboard set up for elec.start cause I wont be able to pull the rope start on the little 15HP evinrude.Lots to do that I said was out till fall!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I haven't even looked at the garden yet.  Last week the kids were playing in it and lets just say they were mud from head to toe.  But if dew is tilling and he's about 5 miles away I better go take a look tonight.  By the way dew I have a compact tractor with a tiller if you need any help. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
do you deliver to cold spring????? :scratch: :scratch: ;D

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't even looked at the garden yet.  Last week the kids were playing in it and lets just say they were mud from head to toe.  But if dew is tilling and he's about 5 miles away I better go take a look tonight.  By the way dew I have a compact tractor with a tiller if you need any help.
OH MAN THANKS for the offer.I finished.There is very little moisture in the soil here!! No clodding just easy go.Tomorrow I'll pay,I am right now!! Might help the ole girl rake flower gardens tomorrow.But I have a new to me 1993 polaris to install a new starter an solenoid.A out board 1988 or 92 Evinrude to install elec.start and a new bird with GPS and a lakemaster card to install think the bird is the 597 di hi.Its been sitting so long waiting for me??

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Got my Ford 8N going yesterday and mowed the asparagus patch as well as the fall bearing raspberries, hope to get the cultivator out tonight and go over the garden...

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Got my Ford 8N going yesterday and mowed the asparagus patch as well as the fall bearing raspberries, hope to get the cultivator out tonight and go over the garden...
You dog you!!! The ole girl had the hedge trimmers out cleanin up the asparagus,The manual type with long handels.The raspberries are mixed and I wait to see what's growin.Course the asparagus bed is only 6 ft wide by??20-25 ft long.4 years old with 1 year olds this year down the middle.
 Cant wait fer them oh so good and versatile spears!!!!
 How big is yer patch? You use rock salt in any shotguns?
« Last Edit: April 04/22/14, 06:32:24 PM by dew2 »

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
My Asparagus patch isn't that big 6x15' but about 10 years old..produces a Bunch.bet the spears are up next week!!  Nuting better with fresh walleye fillets along with wild rice..

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

I always burn the asparagus patch as I was told they will produce more or come up sooner.  I have no idea if it's true but listening to the old gardeners has never done me harm.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
Never heard that..too late for this year, maybe try next year...

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I hooked the tiller up and made a round and it is ready to be tilled.  I'll get some manure tomorrow and till it in.  Hopefully it doesn't rain to much so I can get the spuds in this weekend after the kids DU banquet.

Glenn I can help you out with the tilling if you need it.  No problem.  I do 5 other neighbors in the area.
« Last Edit: April 04/22/14, 08:24:32 PM by The General »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was half kidding general. I have my pops 8 horse walk behind tiller. does a good job but I'd like to find someone  with a bigger one. my garden dirt gets a little hard and the tiller only gets so deep and I'd like to get it tilled a bit deeper. I watch the ads but no one does this anymore! :scratch: :scratch: :doah:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I was half kidding general. I have my pops 8 horse walk behind tiller. does a good job but I'd like to find someone  with a bigger one. my garden dirt gets a little hard and the tiller only gets so deep and I'd like to get it tilled a bit deeper. I watch the ads but no one does this anymore! :scratch: :scratch: :doah:

I'm sure we can work it out if you want.  I can till it so you are up to your knees in dirt  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I will take you up on that. let me know what ya need for it and when would be a good time. been wanting to do this for years!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
my garden dirt gets a little hard and the tiller only gets so deep and I'd like to get it tilled a bit deeper.
Solve yer problem Glenn.If the general will deep till your hard garden,Spread 3-4 inches of sand on top before he tills it in,and add some gypsum on top a the sand.The gypsum lubricates soils, the sand will keep the clay from clodding making a looser soil,Probably making a better producing garden
« Last Edit: April 04/23/14, 10:21:44 AM by dew2 »