Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Alaska Ban/Hunting Drones  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
            :police: Alaska Bans Use of Drones in Hunting :police:

March 26, 2014  |

:reporter; Alaska may prohibit hunters from using drones as early as July 1.

:coffee: ........
The seven-member Alaskan Board of Game voted unanimously last week to ban the use of drones, or remote-controlled aerial vehicles, in the pursuit or spotting of game animals. According to the Anchorage Daily News, the decision was made because drones gave hunters a decided advantage over wild animals and hunters who do not use drones for scouting. The decision to prohibit the use of drones was supported by many conservation and hunting organizations, who see the use of the aerial vehicles as a violation of fair chase ethics.

In Alaska, hunters are allowed to scout for game animals in a conventional aircraft as long as they do not harvest the animal on the same day. Officials say that drones provide a much larger advantage. Unlike conventional aircraft, drones can relay live images to a hunter on the ground instantly.

“Other people don’t have a fair opportunity to take game if somebody else is able to do that,” said Captain Bernard Chastain, operations commander of the Alaska Wildlife Troopers. “On the biology side, if you make it too easy to take animals, then there’s not opportunity for everybody else out there, because they can only allow so many animals to be taken.”

Chastain added that up until now, there was no law concerning the use of drones in the state. It was only recently that drones became widely available and cheap enough to pose an issue for Alaskan wildlife officials. Lightweight drones equipped with a camera can be purchased for around $1,000 or less.

“The Alaska Wildlife Troopers are aware of remote-controlled airplanes, helicopters and quad-copters that are being used to spot and assist in taking big game,” a statement by the Board of Game said. “Some of these remote controlled aircraft can operate up to several hundred feet above ground, giving the hunter an unfair advantage and potentially causing a direct conservation concern to the resource.”

ABC News reported that in 2012, a group of hunters legally harvested a moose with the help of a drone. Although the hunters are not being investigated, the case did draw attention to the fact that more hunters are beginning to look to drones for tracking game through the state’s dense forests. Conservation groups such as the Pope and Young Club and Backcountry Hunters and Anglers oppose the use of drones because of the alleged negative effects it may have on wildlife. Earlier this year, the state of Colorado also banned the use of drones in hunting.

“Sportsmen appreciate this commonsense, thoughtful clarification to Colorado’s regulations,” said Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Director Land Tawney after the state announced the ban. “Drones have many legitimate potential uses in science, agriculture and search-and-rescue. However, hunting should remain an activity of skill and woodcraft, not just technology. If drones take off in hunting fields, it will split the ranks of hunters and everyone will lose.”

The Pope and Young Club also encourages its members to refrain from using drones during hunts. The response from hunters to the Alaska drone ban was mostly supportive of the new regulations, although drones can still serve a purpose in the field besides research. Some sportsmen have begun using the aerial vehicles to track destructive feral hogs, which are considered a nuisance in many states.

The new Alaskan regulations now go to the state Department of Law for review and will likely take effect beginning July 1.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   I gotta get me one of those.  Just imagine the pictures you could get.   If peta will be using them to harass hunters I think hunters should have their own attack drones.   :rotflmao:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
   I gotta get me one of those.  Just imagine the pictures you could get.   If peta will be using them to harass hunters I think hunters should have their own attack drones.   :rotflmao:

Now why didn't I think of that. :scratch: If you get one of those you won't have to use that old fashion parescope you've been using at the camp for years. Or even better yet why don't you just pay for the camp membership :happy1:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
Well my winter ar build is  almost complete. Think I have a new project in mind now. Wonder if I could rig it to drop things on my brother?
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Lee Borgersen an nudist camp should not be use together in the same post. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"