Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Where are you hunting this season?  (Read 9952 times)

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I will be hunting north of Remer with my brothers, parents, friend, and 2 daughters.

We didn't get any doe tags so our expectations are lower this year.  The girls will hopefully get there does while sitting with grandma again.

My oldest is getting confirmed on sunday of opening weekend. :bonk: :bonk:  She isn't going that sat but will make the2nd and 3rd weekends.  I will make sat morning and then head back to the cities sat night.

Where is everybody else hunting and how many in your deer camps?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
im hunting east of terrebon mn. looking forward to hunting with my two daughters, wish I could get my son to come along but hes not into it but world needs all kinds. Looking forward to Muzzy season more than rifle.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I know in our zone in McGrath the kids can still shoot a doe  or a buck.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
hunting zone 197, leech lake reservation. got 1 permit for 6 guys. hunt in the sand lake area.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
if I go, it will be on the family farm up by park rapids, its hunters choice there, so I think I can technically go and shoot a doe but not a buck because I already tagged a buck.

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
if I go, it will be on the family farm up by park rapids, its hunters choice there, so I think I can technically go and shoot a doe but not a buck because I already tagged a buck.
hey man you might want to double check that before you go to my understanding unless you hunt the metro zone's MN is one deer this season doesn't matter what weapon you are using just a heads up please post back if I am wrong it would be nice to know thanks!
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
good idea. I shot the buck in the metro zone(601). ill call the DNR officer of this area and ask him
« Last Edit: October 10/27/14, 07:14:04 PM by Cody Gruchow »

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
good idea. I shot the buck in the metro zone(601)
yeah if I read the regs right you can only shoot more than one deer in the metro and a few spots in the SE but all it takes to find out for sure and be safe is shoot the MN DNR a call and they will know for sure if you can or can't.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I believe "whiteoakbuck" is correct.  You cannot TAG another deer in a Hunters Choice area.  You can however, HUNT there (party hunt) with your family and SHOOT a deer as long as someone in the party has a valid tag.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
wouldn't my license come with a tag? see I thought it was the other way around. I could shoot my buck in the metro and still hunt up there. im gonna call a CO tomorrow

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe "whiteoakbuck" is correct.  You cannot TAG another deer in a Hunters Choice area.  You can however, HUNT there (party hunt) with your family and SHOOT a deer as long as someone in the party has a valid tag.
This is how I understand it also

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
wouldn't my license come with a tag? see I thought it was the other way around. I could shoot my buck in the metro and still hunt up there. im gonna call a CO tomorrow
I could be wrong man the way I read it is ONE deer per hunter and your done unless your party hunting and filling someone else's tag/Tags or hunting in the metro/SE MN look it up in the regs and call a CO before buying a gun license just to be safe.

Offline Dstark5625

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hunting up in 176 again this year, between Virginia and Tower.  Bucks only.  It's going to be few and far in between but at least the weather is holding out so far.  We've seen a little buck sign so far but overall the deer sign is a little harder to come by this year.  Morte motivation for me to get a bow for next year, more opportunities

Offline Wicked Jester

• Outdoorsman
good idea. I shot the buck in the metro zone(601). ill call the DNR officer of this area and ask him

Where you took the buck doesn't matter. A buck means you had to use your primary tag. (The tag that comes with the license) Any bonus/ management/ intensive harvest tags are only valid to be used in certain areas. They are antlerless only. Now, since you have already used a primary tag, the only way you can legally tag another deer is in an intensive harvest area with a bonus tag on an antlerless deer. You can hunt as a member of a party anywhere (as long as you have a valid license for that season) , but tagging is now very limited. Hunters choice areas are still a 1 deer limit so an intensive harvest tag is not valid there.

Edit to add: only 1 primary tag can be used per person per year. Meaning you can buy multiple season licenses ( archery and firearm for example ) , each license will come with a tag, but only one of those can be used.
« Last Edit: October 10/28/14, 10:18:22 AM by Wicked Jester »

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
I could be wrong man the way I read it is ONE deer per hunter and your done unless your party hunting and filling someone else's tag/Tags or hunting in the metro/SE MN look it up in the regs and call a CO before buying a gun license just to be safe.
you can buy a gun license and party hunt but another non youth hunter must use their tag on it. You can not use the tag that comes with your license.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I called the dnr office today. They said I can still shoot a doe in a hunters choice area. Because I shot my buck in the metro. I just can't use a intensive harvest tag. The lady didn't hesitate or stumble. She answered the question right away.

Offline Wicked Jester

• Outdoorsman
I find that incredibly difficult to believe. She essentially told you there is no limit on deer. Just buy another license and take another deer. That completely contradicts the rule book available to us.

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I called the dnr office today. They said I can still shoot a doe in a hunters choice area. Because I shot my buck in the metro. I just can't use a intensive harvest tag. The lady didn't hesitate or stumble. She answered the question right away.
I just spoke with the DNR seconds before my last post and as stated before you can buy a gun tag and party hunt but someone else needs to tag that animal

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I was real clear with my question. I'll call the CO and get a second opinion

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
She didn't say there was no limit. What she said was I could shoot a doe in that area. Sense it's either or and I had harvested my previous deer in the metro

Offline wile e coyote

• Outdoorsman
OMG..... Stop the presses.... Apparently there are to many pages in the Hunting Regs for people to read. The DNR makes it pretty clear on how, when, where and HOW MANY animals a person can take. The first place I would check on the laws of deer hunting is the Regs, then I would call the DNR if I had any questions or better yet talk to the local CO. I sure as heck wouldn't be asking a bunch of guys who know parts of the regs (granted there are ones here who know what they are talking about) about the laws. I don't think a CO is going to accept "Well Joe McDeerSalyer on MNO told me this or that about what and where I can shoot" when you end up breaking the law. Should be mandatory that EVERYONE reads and knows the laws before buying a tag. I change that, call the CO before you call the intern in St. Paul sitting behind his desk. Calling them does no good. That's my opinion, which my opinion is always 100% right!

I'm Wile E Coyote and don't forget to spay or neuter your pets.
« Last Edit: October 10/28/14, 03:17:57 PM by wile e coyote »

Offline wile e coyote

• Outdoorsman
She didn't say there was no limit. What she said was I could shoot a doe in that area. Sense it's either or and I had harvested my previous deer in the metro

E-I-T-H-E-R... O-R... means A deer of your choice, that is ONE deer, you can only fill 1 (one) (uno) primary tag. If it is managed the you can buy a bonus tag. But do what you want and when you get busted, I'll be the one buying your hunting gear from the DNR.

I'm Wile E Coyote and I let the dogs out!
« Last Edit: October 10/28/14, 02:32:42 PM by wile e coyote »

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Who are you to call me stupid. What a ignorant thing to say. If ya can't put logical input without insulting someone then don't bother saying anything

Offline Wicked Jester

• Outdoorsman

"previous deer"   That deer being a doe, tagged with an intensive harvest tag is one thing, that deer being a buck (and requiring the use of your primary tag) is another. 

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm officially done with this thread and I'll figure it out on my own.

Offline wile e coyote

• Outdoorsman
Who are you to call me stupid. What a ignorant thing to say. If ya can't put logical input without insulting someone then don't bother saying anything

Never called you stupid, I don't see anywhere in most post that says "Cody is stupid" , I keep that all in my head for myself to hear.

I'm Wile E Coyote and I approve this message.

Offline wile e coyote

• Outdoorsman
Cody?

Where did you go?

I think it's childish to get ticked off and stomp away when there are clearly people trying to help you. Seems you're not getting the answer you want to hear so you're saying the hell with it. I would expect more from a Moderator of a forum, I would also expect them to know the laws better.

I'm Wile E Coyote and I got moves like Jagger.

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
The way I read your sign of. "You can't fix stupid" you are calling him stupid. 

By the way where are you hunting W E coyote?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline wile e coyote

• Outdoorsman
I edited the post where I allegedly called Cody stupid. If I offended you Cody, oh well, grow up! It's life, we are adults, except for when we stomp off all mad because someone didn't agree with me on the internet. Read the regs, know the regs, understand the regs!

I'm Wile E Coyote and I know what the fox says!

P.S. To answer dakids question, I hunt in the Northern half for MN. I don't give out much info about where I hunt, people like whiteoakbuck tend to steal those spots. No respect for the guys who put in the hard work scouting only to have their stand stolen because it's "public" land!

I'm Wile E Coyote, and yes, I found Waldo!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
man Wiley.........why all the hatein!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!