Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Crazy thing happened on the ice today.  (Read 1955 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   :scratch:  This is about as strange a true story can get.

I met my oldest son on a metro lake for a little ice fishing today.  The temps were in the 40s and crappies were our target.  We went to where he has been having pretty good luck.  We had gone out together once before to a different spot.  I really liked that spot.  We tried his spot which turned out to be a nest of tiny perch.  I had to leave at 4pm so he said he was just go down to the other spot and see if anything was happening.  He wasn't going to set up the shelter( 40 degrees felt like 18 below with the winds we had).  He called me and said his vex lit up.  He dropped his line down 3 times and had a 6" crappie on the drop each time.  The last one  was probably reeled up to fast and would not swim on it's own down the hole.  He took the vexilar cord to try to give it a push down the hole.  BAMMMM!!!  Something (a pike) hit the transducer.   It hit it hard enough to put tooth marks in it.  I have heard about pike hitting weights and cameras but never a transducer.   :doah:
« Last Edit: March 03/07/15, 07:36:22 PM by DDSBYDAY »
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
That's a cool story!

I remember once years ago back in the covered wagon era. That's when I used to Ice fish. I was winding up a tip-up and when it got to the surface a pike shot up after the bait and landed on the ice.

It looked like it was shot out of a cannon!
« Last Edit: March 03/07/15, 08:07:48 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
That's crazy. I had a similar situation years ago. I always have my transducer sitting just under the edge of the ice at the bottom of the hole. I was sitting there fishing and suddenly the depth started jumping all over the place. I leaned forward to look down the hole and there was a big pike head at the bottom of the hole with his nose up to my transducer just kind of poking it around a little. I grabbed the cord and pulled the transducer out of the hole just in case he decided to chomp on it.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I was fishing for sunnies on black ice in early april  years ago.   We were in 4ft. of water and catching them with every drop.  I got hit hard and made the lift and was looking down the throat of a bucket mouth.  It came off.   I looked at my buddy fishing right next to me and said " I just had a huge bass on".  He said ya right, show it to me.  Right on cue it came flying out of the hole.  It turned out he had straightened out the hook but couldn't get turned around in the hole.   :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: March 03/07/15, 08:50:44 PM by DDSBYDAY »
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.